Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mde <fo...@mail.thesmithconnection.net> on 2003/05/22 19:20:57 UTC

problem setting up tomcat as NT service

Hi all,
  I'm trying to set up tomcat 4.1.24 as an NT service, but to no avail. choosing "install as NT service" when I installed tomcat did not work, nor did following various instructions I found online.

I was able to successfully install the service using the command below, but when I start the service I get this error:

C:\>net start "Apache Tomcat"
The Apache Tomcat service is starting.
The Apache Tomcat service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

C:\>net helpmsg 3534

The service did not report an error.

EXPLANATION

The service did not report an error.

ACTION

Try the task later. If the problem persists, contact your network
administrator.

*** the command I used to install as a service ***
"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe" -install "Apache Tomcat" "%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll" -Djava.class.path="%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar" -Dcatalina.home="%CATALINA_HOME%" -Xrs -start org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start -stop org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params stop -out "%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log"

Any ideas to get this thing running as a service? The main reason I want it to run as a service is that I need the "restart service after xxxx retries" functionality.

-M

Re: problem setting up tomcat as NT service

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
http://web.bvu.edu/staff/david/tcservcfg/ is very nice

-Tim