Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch> on 2004/07/07 17:30:11 UTC

request for backport

Hi,

Could someone please mention the change in revision 10144 in the CHANGES
file for the 1.0.6 release?
And I know my vote for this doesn't really count, but I reviewed that
patch and would approve it - so maybe my vote could count half ;)

The log for that revision:
Fix a bug in get_dir_status that makes us call handle_dir_entry with a
null entry pointer which makes it crash.

* subversion/libsvn_wc/status.c
  (get_dir_status): Only call handle_dir_entry if the entry is versioned.

Stefan

Re: request for backport

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
SteveKing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please mention the change in revision 10144 in the
> CHANGES file for the 1.0.6 release?
> And I know my vote for this doesn't really count, but I reviewed that
> patch and would approve it - so maybe my vote could count half ;)

It's there now. Sorry for the delay.

/Tobias

Re: request for backport

Posted by Stefan <st...@tigris.org>.
Ben Reser wrote:
> I'll plan on doing a 1.0.6 on Wednesday, July 14th.  That'll give us
> time to finish up 1.1 issues this week and to review, vote, etc.. on
> 1.0.6 the first part of next.

Great! Thanks a lot for doing this.
I'll make another TSVN release right after the 1.0.6 release.

Stefan

Re: Re: request for backport

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: request for backport

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 15:03, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Ben Reser, what would you think of doing a 1.0.6?
>
> Steve, my feeling is to leave this one up to Ben.  I certainly
> understand where you're coming from.  But with 1.1 on the horizon
> anyway, he may want to minimize work.  On the other hand, if he's okay
> with it, then I'd be +1 on a 1.0.6... And sussman may have a few other
> issues to throw on the heap, if it happens (he'll follow up).

Yah, it seems like at least 50% of all SVN users are really TSVN users.
So this bug is a pretty big deal.  I have other things that I think are
important as well:

    - fix for mod_authz_svn read-authz hole (#1949)
    - bundle & require neon 0.24.7, to fix zlib network errors
    - revprop crash (#1904)
    - control-C auth prompts (#1916), which people complain about.

These aren't in STATUS yet, but I'll put them there soon.

In any case, the "freeze" coming this weekend isn't really a big deal.
We're just making a branch, and then sitting on it for 4 weeks.  Maybe
breser has time to do a 1.0.6 release next week.  It's his call.

Re: request for backport

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch> writes:
> Ok, I'd like to point out again my request for the backport:
> Revision 10144 fixes a crash when fetching the status. I discovered
> this crash because people complained about TSVN crashing their
> desktop. It took a while until someone could send me a stacktrace of
> such a crash (after all, when this happens a part of the OS itself
> (the desktop) crashes, so that makes debugging very hard), but the
> crash happens on several peoples machines. Now, if the desktop crashes
> (TSVN integrates into the explorer, which is a part of the desktop)
> then the user usually has to reboot or log off and on again.
>
> TSVN consists of two parts: the main part which does all the work, and
> the shell integration part which draws the icon overlays and provides
> the context menu. The shell integration part only uses the
> svn_client_status() API, nothing else (i.e. no repository access at
> all). So bugs in other parts than svn_client_status() are not that
> critical for TSVN, but in svn_client_status() they are.
>
> So in my opinion such a fix has a high priority - at least for TSVN.

Hmmm.  Yup, remember that post now, sorry for ignoring it.

Ben Reser, what would you think of doing a 1.0.6?

Steve, my feeling is to leave this one up to Ben.  I certainly
understand where you're coming from.  But with 1.1 on the horizon
anyway, he may want to minimize work.  On the other hand, if he's okay
with it, then I'd be +1 on a 1.0.6... And sussman may have a few other
issues to throw on the heap, if it happens (he'll follow up).

-Karl

Re: request for backport

Posted by SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch>.

Re: request for backport

Posted by SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch> writes:
>
>>Ok, I guess I have to wait then for 1.1.
>>But if fixed bugs don't get even mentioned for the 1.0.6 release,
>>there will never be enough critical bugs in there to justify the
>>relese ;)
>

> Right.
>
> Remember, the 1.0.x release will *stop* at some point in the
> not-so-distant future.  We may do a 1.0.6, and even a 1.0.7 if there's
> some critical bug, but the 1.1.x line is supposed to take over
> eventually.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm eagerly waiting for a 1.1 branch or the
first tag of that line so I can switch over and adjust TSVN to use it.
Once 1.1 comes out, I will stop releasing TSVN versions linked 1.0.x too
and work only on the 1.1 branch.

Re: request for backport

Posted by SteveKing <st...@gmx.ch>.

Re: request for backport