Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Richardson, Steven" <sr...@sonusnet.com> on 2005/10/18 00:24:04 UTC

XML::Xerces 2.6.0 requires xerces-c 2.6.0 ONLY ?

Hi:

First time xerces newbie question:

I'll be soon trying to install XML::Xerces 2.6.0  (I believe 2.6.0 is the latest stable release).  The XML::Xerces 2.6.0 readme says it requires Apache Xerces C++ XML Parser version 2.6.0.  Does it mean ONLY that specific release, or can I use xerces-c 2.7.0 binary as found at http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/download.cgi ?

I'll probably try this on a Linux box, initially, which has Perl 5.8.0 and gcc 3.2.3.  Looks like if I use the  <http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/xerces-c/binaries/xerces-c_2_7_0-redhat_AS4-gcc_343.tar.gz> xerces-c_2_7_0-redhat_AS4-gcc_343.tar.gz binary that I don't necessarily have to install xerces-c, but can rather point to it via the XERCESCROOT env variable.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks, Steve

Steven Richardson          Sonus Networks
www.sonusnet.com          The Voice of the New Public Network
732-625-3003  x233

Re: XML::Xerces 2.6.0 requires xerces-c 2.6.0 ONLY ?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Richardson, Steven" <sr...@sonusnet.com> writes:

> Hi:
>
> First time xerces newbie question:
>
> I'll be soon trying to install XML::Xerces 2.6.0  (I believe 2.6.0
> is the latest stable release).  The XML::Xerces 2.6.0 readme says it
> requires Apache Xerces C++ XML Parser version 2.6.0.  Does it mean
> ONLY that specific release, or can I use xerces-c 2.7.0 binary as
> found at http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/download.cgi ?
>
> I'll probably try this on a Linux box, initially, which has Perl
> 5.8.0 and gcc 3.2.3.  Looks like if I use the
>

> <http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/xerces-c/binaries/xerces-c_2_7_0-redhat_AS4-gcc_343.tar.gz> xerces-c_2_7_0-redhat_AS4-gcc_343.tar.gz
> binary that I don't necessarily have to install xerces-c, but can
> rather point to it via the XERCESCROOT env variable.
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Steven,

Yes, *only* 2.6.0

it is possible that it might work with work with other versions - but
highly unlikely, so I try to make that very clear in the README.

you are correct that you do not need to install xerces-c - but it is
usually convenient to do so - otherwise you will need to set your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that linux's dynamic loader will be able to find
the xerces-c dynamic library that XML-Xerces links with when it
builds.

Cheers,
jas.