Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Sushil Vegad <vs...@serebrum.com> on 2009/02/25 23:23:31 UTC

Custom schema errors on reboot

Hello,
We use a custom schema with apache-ds-1.5.4 on windows. I installed the
server, gave it my schema and the data using ldif files; my application runs
fine - I can search users, modify user attributes, add and delete users

If I REBOOT the directory server, I cannot modify or add users. It throws a
schema violation exception -  LDAP: error code 65 - OBJECT_CLASS_VIOLATION

Attached below is:
1) The OPEN-LDAP schema file named custom.schema. This schema is converted
to apache-ds schema using the Directory Server Studio, as per the user guide
on the apache-ds website.
2) User data file named data.ldif
3) Error file error.txt. The schema violation exception says that attribute
homephone is not declared in the objectClasses of the entry I am modifying.
When I connect using Directory Server Studio, I can see the entry and the
objectclass.

I cant figure out why I get these errors only after reboot. Please help
troubleshoot.

Thank you for your time.
Sushil

http://www.nabble.com/file/p22213293/custom.schema custom.schema
http://www.nabble.com/file/p22213293/data.ldif data.ldif
http://www.nabble.com/file/p22213293/error.txt error.txt

Re: Custom schema errors on reboot

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Sushil Vegad wrote:
> Hello,
> We use a custom schema with apache-ds-1.5.4 on windows. I installed the
> server, gave it my schema and the data using ldif files; my application runs
> fine - I can search users, modify user attributes, add and delete users
>
> If I REBOOT the directory server, I cannot modify or add users. It throws a
> schema violation exception -  LDAP: error code 65 - OBJECT_CLASS_VIOLATION

The HomePhone attributeType you are trying to redefine already exists in
the cosine schema. When injecting such an existing AttributeType, you
won't get an error (that's not very cool, I have to admit), but at
reboot, when trying to inject an entry with this attributeType in the
ObjectClass, you will get an error.

I have to tell you that the check done when injecting a new schema is
not sufficient to detect all those errors, but if you use the Studio
Schema Editor, you will be able to detect those inconsistencies.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org