Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by zonathen <zo...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/06 00:53:45 UTC

Wicket Ajax Safari DomReady Conflicts

We are having safari 3.1.2 issues with wicket's 1.4 domready in wicket-event
used in wicket-ajax blocking our custom mootools code that is loading on
domready as well.  Anybody have any ideas on how to better load custom js on
domready without conflicting with wicket's?  It seems that domready is being
called to soon before our scripts have a chance to load..  Basically all of
our custom javascript is not loading when the wicket-ajax file is being
included.

Also, is there an easy way to put javascript in the bottom of your page
before the ending body tag?  Sortof like <wicket:head></wicket:head>, or
<wicket:foot></wicket:foot>.

Please help!

Re: Wicket Ajax Safari DomReady Conflicts

Posted by zonathen <zo...@yahoo.com>.
I figured as much just thought I'd check on the foot thing, we can always add
a panel that you override as needed in the base page if necessary.
Safari/Webkit is notorious for firing the mechanisms used in checking for
domready later than other browsers.  Just look at the code in
wicket-event.js for it's safari domready implementation and you'll see it is
doing what everybody has to do with safari, run a timer and keep checking
until Safari decides to fire it.  Which is why putting it at the bottom of
the document can help sometimes because it might delay the loading of the
script somewhat and hope for a little better timing.

Normally you can rely on this type of domready detection in Safari without a
hitch but in this specific case Wicket's domready was somehow making the
browser fire the event or blocking our timer-based safari domready
(mootools) from detecting the event.  It was sporadic of course because
Safari seems to randomize when it chooses to load scripts and fire events.
BTW, this is all in the name of a faster page load, hence their marketing
phrases.

In the end we think we solved it by putting our function calls for safari in
onload instead of domready.  Probably because the onload event is not
conflicting with the wicket domready anymore.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.