Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Yuriy Badalyantc <lm...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/09 04:08:15 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-616: Rename implicit Serdes instances in kafka-streams-scala

Hi everybody

I would like to start a vote  for KIP-616:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-616%3A+Rename+implicit+Serdes+instances+in+kafka-streams-scala

This KIP fixes name clash in the org.apache.kafka.streams.scala.Serdes.

-Yuriy

Re: [VOTE] KIP-616: Rename implicit Serdes instances in kafka-streams-scala

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hello again, all!

After Leah proposed KIP-659, we realized that it's not
possible to provide a correct implicit TimeWindowedSerde, so
we decided to drop it from KIP-616.

See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/diffpagesbyversion.action?pageId=153816723&selectedPageVersions=15&selectedPageVersions=14

And here's the discussion Yuriy and I had in the PR:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/8955#discussion_r477358755

I've taken the liberty of updating the KIP so that I can go
ahead and merge Yuriy's PR today.
Here's the diff for your perusal:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/diffpagesbyversion.action?pageId=153816723&selectedPageVersions=15&selectedPageVersions=14

I don't think this will be controversial, since we can
always add an implicit for it later if we have any brilliant
ideas. Nevertheless, if you have concerns, please let me
know!

Thanks,
-John

Posted by Yuriy Badalyantc <lm...@gmail.com>.