Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Tschannen Michael (tsmi)" <mi...@zhaw.ch> on 2008/10/01 07:01:22 UTC

Re: Enhanced MailReaderSampler (was: Enhanced SMTPSampler/MailReaderSampler: Is there a chance for them being included in upcoming JMeter releases?)

Sebastian
> > As far as I can make out, the code adds:
> > + POP3S and IMAPS
> > + Check for failure - i.e require that the connect fails
> > + StartTLS support
> > + Trusting All certificates
> > + various options for trust stores
Correct!
> > The MailReader Sampler has already been enhanced in JMeter 2.3.2 to
> > handle POP3S and IMAPS.
I saw these changes, obviously somebody was faster than we were  ;-)
> > I don't think it makes sense to add the check for failure code - that
> > can be done with an Assertion.
The check for failure has been added to be able to catch any kind of
exceptions to be thrown within the sampler (e.g. within the SSL session,
in case no plaintext connection is supported, ...). AFAICR these cases
cannot be addressed by an assertion, am I wrong?
> > StartTLS looks as though it can be added simply by updating the
> > properties list, so is not a problem.
Agree. Is this already planned for future releases?
> > Trusting all certificates looks OK, as again it just means setting
> > some local properties. There's already some JMeter code for
> > certificate trust which might be re-usable. If not, then the code you
> > supplied can be used once the Copyright notices have been dealt with:
OK, copyright notice will be added!

Again (see other thread), I have to admit that the "Install TrustStore"
functionality uses the same (sun copyright protected) class as
SMTPSampler - if sun licensed files cannot be used within JMeter, this
class would have to be re-written.
> > The trust store options seem to require setting System properties -
> > this is not going to work unless all samplers have the same settings,
> > so I don't think the options should be added as they stand.
See other thread.

Again, can you agree with the following TODO list?
- add copyright headers to all files

Michael

Re: Enhanced MailReaderSampler

Posted by Michael Tschannen <mi...@zhaw.ch>.
>>> Not sure; I've not tried.
>> I'm almost sure it doesn't work with an assertion right now...
>>> However I think the solution would be to enhance the Assertions if
>>> necessary, not to add special code to the sampler.
>> agree! can we put these enhancements to the community or shall we try to
>> find some time to do it by ourselves?
>
> Once it is clear what changes need to be made, let's generate a
> Bugzilla enhancement request.
OK! we'll come back to this a bit later.

>>> There's no release plan for it at present, but it can certainly be added.
>> this would be nice!
>>> The copyright lines need to be removed, rather than added ...
>> sure ;-)! we will submit a new version with the official apache headers.
>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> However is it necessary?
>>>
>>> Is it not just enough to trust everything?
>> generally, yes! however the functionality "trust all certificates" (as
>> mentioned in the other thread) doesn't work with starttls, so I think
>> some enhancement(s) would be needed for starttls support.
>
> Well, let's see how fr we can get without that.
OK, I think we'll find out relatively fast after all necessary changes
are done.

>>> No  - the problem is that the files have copyright lines in them;
>>> these need to be removed.
>> ok, we're going to do so and re-submit the changes.
>
> OK.
>
> In the case of the MailReader (and any other changes that relate to
> existing classes), it would be a lot easier if the changes were
> presented as patches to the existing code in JMeter trunk. Is that
> possible for you to do?
I think so, yes! It could be that all the stuff will take a while, but
we'll surely come back after work is done ;-)

michael

Re: Enhanced MailReaderSampler

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Tschannen <mi...@zhaw.ch>.

Posted by sebb AT ASF <se...@apache.org>.
On 01/10/2008, Tschannen Michael (tsmi) <mi...@zhaw.ch> wrote:

> > > As far as I can make out, the code adds:
>  > > + POP3S and IMAPS
>  > > + Check for failure - i.e require that the connect fails
>  > > + StartTLS support
>  > > + Trusting All certificates
>  > > + various options for trust stores
>  Correct!
>  > > The MailReader Sampler has already been enhanced in JMeter 2.3.2 to
>  > > handle POP3S and IMAPS.
>  I saw these changes, obviously somebody was faster than we were  ;-)
>  > > I don't think it makes sense to add the check for failure code - that
>  > > can be done with an Assertion.
>  The check for failure has been added to be able to catch any kind of
>  exceptions to be thrown within the sampler (e.g. within the SSL session,
>  in case no plaintext connection is supported, ...). AFAICR these cases
>  cannot be addressed by an assertion, am I wrong?

Not sure; I've not tried.

However I think the solution would be to enhance the Assertions if
necessary, not to add special code to the sampler.

>  > > StartTLS looks as though it can be added simply by updating the
>  > > properties list, so is not a problem.

>  Agree. Is this already planned for future releases?

There's no release plan for it at present, but it can certainly be added.

>  > > Trusting all certificates looks OK, as again it just means setting
>  > > some local properties. There's already some JMeter code for
>  > > certificate trust which might be re-usable. If not, then the code you
>  > > supplied can be used once the Copyright notices have been dealt with:
>  OK, copyright notice will be added!

The copyright lines need to be removed, rather than added ...

>  Again (see other thread), I have to admit that the "Install TrustStore"
>  functionality uses the same (sun copyright protected) class as
>  SMTPSampler - if sun licensed files cannot be used within JMeter, this
>  class would have to be re-written.

Yes.

However is it necessary?

Is it not just enough to trust everything?

>  > > The trust store options seem to require setting System properties -
>  > > this is not going to work unless all samplers have the same settings,
>  > > so I don't think the options should be added as they stand.
>  See other thread.

Ditto.