Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2008/09/23 21:33:13 UTC

Setting Fix Version in JIRA

Hi,

When people add new issues to JIRA they most often don't set the "Fix Version" field.  Would it not be better to have a default value for that field, so that new entries don't get forgotten when we filter by "Fix Version" looking for issues to fix for the next release?  If every issue had "Fix Version" set we'd be able to schedule things better, give reporters and others more insight into when a particular item will be taken care of, etc.  When we are ready for the release we'd just bump all unresolved issues to the next planned version (e.g. Solr 1.3.1 or 1.4 or Lucene 2.4 or 2.9)

Thoughts?

Otis

Re: Setting Fix Version in JIRA

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Based on our experience with using Jira in this manner, I would agree
with Mike that you do not want to automatically assign the "Fix
Version".

Once you go down this path, you wind up with a steadily growing wave
of deferred issues that are constantly getting pushed out to the next
release.

-- Ken

--
Ken Krugler
Krugle, Inc.

Re: Setting Fix Version in JIRA

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
I think it makes more sense to leave fix version to committers when
they assign them self to the issue. I say this because of the hundreds
of open and unreviewed issues that one would have to update in the
tracker between each release.

Posted by Lars Kotthoff <li...@larsko.org>.
> When people add new issues to JIRA they most often don't set the "Fix Version"
> field.  Would it not be better to have a default value for that field, so that
> new entries don't get forgotten when we filter by "Fix Version" looking for
> issues to fix for the next release?

I think that not setting the value until it's known how big and difficult the
issue is would be better. But that's just personal preference I guess.

Lars