Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2002/07/10 18:29:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www

blair@tigris.org writes:

> Author: blair
> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:14:32 -0500
> New Revision: 2459
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/www/cvs-changelog.html
>    trunk/www/project_faq.html
> Log:
> * www/cvs-changelog.html:
>   Run dos2unix on this file to convert from DOS style to Unix style
>   end of lines.  Running svn diff -x -b shows no changes.
>
> * www/project_faq.html:
>   Ditto.

Maybe it just would have been easier to set "svn:eol-style : native"
on these files?

svn help (was Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www)

Posted by Martin Pool <mb...@sourcefrog.net>.
On 16 Jul 2002, "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> svn's built in help is already very nice--detailed yet concise. Why
> muck it up by stuffing in a buncha info that should be in the
> manual/handbook.

I certainly agree that the built-in help should not duplicate
the manual or give introductory or tutorial information.

It seems to me that it's consistent with svn's existing code,
and with contemporary free unix programs to give quick-reference
information just to jog the memory of somebody already familiar
with the program.  Exactly where that line is is a matter of
taste of course.  I'm just suggesting that the magic names
for svn:keywords and so on have equally much claim to be in
there as the top-level commands.  Five or ten lines listing
them would not bloat the built-in help, and would be handy
for somebody who's come from CVS and can't work out why their
$Things$ don't work.

--
Martin

extra help commands (was Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www)

Posted by Martin Pool <mb...@sourcefrog.net>.
On 11 Jul 2002, Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> > Heh, sounds like our commandline app would be moving toward a more
> > gdb-like help system:
> >
> >    svn help properties
> >
> >       ==> svn help propget, propset, etc.
> >
> >       ==> svn help keywords
> >
> >       ==> svn help eol-style
> >
> > What do others think about this?

I think that would help a lot.  I think good --help text and
interactive help is one of the things that makes GNU tools seem
friendlier than trad unix (gdb vs dbx).

I don't think subversion needs the full hierarchical system of gdb,
though.

It seems hard to imagine that a few pages of text would bloat the
binary noticeably.  svn isn't the kind of tool that needs to go onto a
boot floppy.  Different parts of the documentation getting out of date
with each other are a bigger problem, but hopefully the --help is
reasonably stable.

One risk is that there may be confusion over which arguments to "help"
are commands, and which are just information pages.  On the other hand
gdb does the same thing, and it doesn't seem to cause too much
confusion.

In fact, having a special-case command "keywords" might be really
helpful, but that's kind of another question.

--
Martin

Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> Heh, sounds like our commandline app would be moving toward a more
> gdb-like help system:
>
>    svn help properties
>
>       ==> svn help propget, propset, etc.
>
>       ==> svn help keywords
>
>       ==> svn help eol-style
>
> What do others think about this?

Frankly, prefer to leave that stuff for the manual (the handbook right
now, though there will be a larger manual later).  But it's always a
difficult call, how much doc to put into the binary...

I'm only -0.  If everyone wants this, that's fine too.

Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Martin Pool wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2002, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
> > Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
>
> > > A recursive grep through svn doesn't show any documentation on
> > > this, except for ./subversion/libsvn_wc/translate.h which shows
> > >
> > > /* Valid states for 'svn:eol-style' property.
> > >    Property nonexistence is equivalent to 'none'. */
> > > enum svn_wc__eol_style
> > > {
> > >   svn_wc__eol_style_unknown, /* An unrecognized style */
> > >   svn_wc__eol_style_none,    /* EOL translation is "off" or ignored value */
> > >   svn_wc__eol_style_native,  /* Translation is set to client's native style */
> > >   svn_wc__eol_style_fixed    /* Translation is set to one of LF, CR, CRLF */
> > > }
> > >
> > > Should put this info someplace.
>
> I'm not sure if this fits with your scheme of things, but it might be
> nice to have quick-reference information like this available from the
> command line.  Perhaps `svn help eol-style` or `svn help keywords`.

Something specific to the available properties would be great, like
'svn help properties'.

Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www

Posted by Martin Pool <mb...@sourcefrog.net>.
On 10 Jul 2002, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
> Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:

> > A recursive grep through svn doesn't show any documentation on
> > this, except for ./subversion/libsvn_wc/translate.h which shows
> >
> > /* Valid states for 'svn:eol-style' property.
> >    Property nonexistence is equivalent to 'none'. */
> > enum svn_wc__eol_style
> > {
> >   svn_wc__eol_style_unknown, /* An unrecognized style */
> >   svn_wc__eol_style_none,    /* EOL translation is "off" or ignored value */
> >   svn_wc__eol_style_native,  /* Translation is set to client's native style */
> >   svn_wc__eol_style_fixed    /* Translation is set to one of LF, CR, CRLF */
> > }
> >
> > Should put this info someplace.

I'm not sure if this fits with your scheme of things, but it might be
nice to have quick-reference information like this available from the
command line.  Perhaps `svn help eol-style` or `svn help keywords`.

That would be a bit inconsistent with the pattern always being `svn
help COMMAND`, but consistent with cleartool and some Gnu stuff.

Actually, perhaps non-expert users would find it easier to have those
things available as commands, although just shortcuts for propset?

  svn keywords Rev *.c
  svn ignore '*.lo'

(If that horse is already dead please tell me :)
--
Martin

Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:

> Seems cleaner to have all the files in the repos have the end of
> lines you want instead of putting a property on the file.

Hm, yeah, guess so.

> A recursive grep through svn doesn't show any documentation on
> this, except for ./subversion/libsvn_wc/translate.h which shows
>
> /* Valid states for 'svn:eol-style' property.
>    Property nonexistence is equivalent to 'none'. */
> enum svn_wc__eol_style
> {
>   svn_wc__eol_style_unknown, /* An unrecognized style */
>   svn_wc__eol_style_none,    /* EOL translation is "off" or ignored value */
>   svn_wc__eol_style_native,  /* Translation is set to client's native style */
>   svn_wc__eol_style_fixed    /* Translation is set to one of LF, CR, CRLF */
> }
>
> Should put this info someplace.

doc/handbook/outline.txt

Feel free to join me!  I'm working the Handbook as a side project
right now.  :-)

Re: svn commit: rev 2459 - trunk/www

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> blair@tigris.org writes:
>
> > Author: blair
> > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:14:32 -0500
> > New Revision: 2459
> >
> > Modified:
> >    trunk/www/cvs-changelog.html
> >    trunk/www/project_faq.html
> > Log:
> > * www/cvs-changelog.html:
> >   Run dos2unix on this file to convert from DOS style to Unix style
> >   end of lines.  Running svn diff -x -b shows no changes.
> >
> > * www/project_faq.html:
> >   Ditto.
> >

> Maybe it just would have been easier to set "svn:eol-style : native"
> on these files?

Hmm, didn't think about that.  So setting this to native would leave
the file's contents in the repos alone and converted the eol from
DOS to Unix style when I get the file from the repos?