Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Adrian Field <af...@valoris.com> on 2003/08/20 10:34:52 UTC

Project Naming -Apache Geronimo

Hi,
Having read many of the comments on the naming of the project, my
contribution is that for any new product development, the suggested name for
the product should be tested against the following criteria:

1) Is it a trademark/ patent?
2) Is it suitable for what the product is/ represents in terms of branding
etc.?
3) Does it mean something rude/ inappropriate in another language?
4) Is it culturally sensitive or associated with something negative?

Apache Geronimo, when compared against these, seems to only have potential
issues with 4)-
cultural sensitivity (I think a couple of posts are on the right track with
contacting Native American organisations to see what their thoughts are on
this instead of being subjective),
negative association- suicide in some cultures through history has been
honourable.

Regards,
Adrian Field

ps. Sorry to add more bandwidth usage to this discussion when it should be
about building the App Server, but just thought this might be useful.

Re: Potential violation of copyright (was Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo)

Posted by Andrea Girotto <an...@era-net.it>.

RE: Potential violation of copyright (was Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> > Anyway, I think the reason of the objection might be able
> > to be found from here:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=geronimo+soft
ware&btnG=Google+Search&lr=
> > Trademark issue ... (I am still not sure, though)

> Actually considering the feather used, that would be a something
> against the Geronimo HTTP server (in Italian)

The policy is that the project name should be free of existing software
trademarks as a prerequisite for entering the incubator.  Both
http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm and that Google search were
checked.  Mind you, not all trademarks are registered with the US Federal
Gov't although that is certainly the best idea for a US-based entity.  If
someone sees thing that that they feel is a potential infringment, the
project's leaders and the Incubator PMC may wish to make sure that there is
no infringement.

The geronimo HTTP server appears to be a student thing, according to
babelfish (our Italian speakers can undoubtedly give a better translation
than Google or Babelfish).

On the other hand, http://www.apexdatasystems.com/geronimo.html: "Geronimo
is our dynamic, new Administration and Policy Management software solution
written with the power of Oracle. The system is written using the latest in
development tools from Oracle, Developer 2000 Forms and Reports using an
Oracle or other ODBC Compliant database."  Geronimo is one of their main
products, although there is no mention on the web site of trademarks related
to any of their products.

	--- Noel

Potential violation of copyright (was Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:55:16 -0400
> (Subject: Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo)
> Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Anyway, I think the reason of the objection might be able
> to be found from here:
> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=geronimo+software&btnG=Google+Search&lr=
>
> Trademark issue ... (I am still not sure, though)

Actually considering the feather used, that would be a something against the
Geronimo HTTP server (in Italian)

> # s/G/J/g might be preferable, FWIW ;-)
>
> -- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:55:16 -0400
(Subject: Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo)
Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> wrote:

> Adrian Field wrote:
> > cultural sensitivity (I think a couple of posts are on the right track with
> > contacting Native American organisations to see what their thoughts are on
> > this instead of being subjective),
> > negative association- suicide in some cultures through history has been
> > honourable.
> More specifically the rite of hatakili (sp?) that Samarai were allowed to
> perform so that they could die honorably.  The nature of Geronimo's death
> is more consistent with this mindset.

"Harakiri", "Samurai"?? What are you talking about?! ;-)

Posted by Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Adrian Field wrote:
>

>> cultural sensitivity (I think a couple of posts are on the right
>> track with
>> contacting Native American organisations to see what their thoughts
>> are on
>> this instead of being subjective),
>> negative association- suicide in some cultures through history has been
>> honourable.
>>

> More specifically the rite of hatakili (sp?) that Samarai were allowed to
> perform so that they could die honorably.

HaraKiri - lit. Cut-Stomach

> The nature of Geronimo's death
> is more consistent with this mindset.

???

http://www.tombtown.com/html/index2.htm?http%3A//www.tombtown.com/bios/geronimo.htm

"*During the winter of 1909, the 85 year old Geronimo fell off of his
horse and remained in a ditch until the next day. He caught pneumonia
and died a few days later on February 17, 1909."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=geronimo+pneumonia&btnG=Google+Search

*

--
 * Jules Gosnell