Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Anuradha S.Athreya" <an...@world2web.com> on 2005/08/20 08:01:10 UTC

Overriding the init() method in the Action Servlet.

Hello,

I understand it is possible to override the init() method in the Action
Servlet class. How can I go about achieving this? What are the changes that
I need to make in the web.xml. I need to introduce this in my application,
since I need to initialize certain parameters during application start up.

Regards,

Anuradha S.Athreya

Re: Overriding the init() method in the Action Servlet.

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Another option is to have your startup code in its own, separate servlet
(or you could use a context listener). Unless you specifically need to
alter behaviour of the standard ActionServlet, keeping your startup code
separate probably makes more sense.

L.

--
Laurie, Open Source advocate, Java geek and novice blogger:
http://www.holoweb.net/laurie

Re: Overriding the init() method in the Action Servlet.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 12:23 PM -0400 8/20/05, Sudhaker Raj wrote:
>You can try struts-plugin to execute startup code. I would avoid
>making changes in core behaviors if possible without changing them.

I would agree with this, and with Wendy's post.  If you need certain
things to happen at servlet initialization time, there are better
ways to do it than subclassing ActionServlet.  The PlugIn interface
was designed explicitly for this purpose, and later (Servlet 2.3),
the ServletContextListener became a more standard way of doing the
same thing.

Joe

>On 8/20/05, Anuradha S.Athreya <an...@world2web.com> wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>

>>  I understand it is possible to override the init() method in the Action
>>  Servlet class. How can I go about achieving this? What are the changes that
>>  I need to make in the web.xml. I need to introduce this in my application,
>>  since I need to initialize certain parameters during application start up.
>>

>>  Regards,
>>
>>  Anuradha S.Athreya

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com

Re: Overriding the init() method in the Action Servlet.

Posted by Sudhaker Raj <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Anuradha S.Athreya" <an...@world2web.com>

> I understand it is possible to override the init() method in the Action
> Servlet class. How can I go about achieving this? What are the changes
> that
> I need to make in the web.xml. I need to introduce this in my application,
> since I need to initialize certain parameters during application start up.

If you're on a Servlet 2.3 (or later) container, use a
ServletContextListener instead:
http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.3/javadoc/javax/servlet/ServletContextListener.html

Here's a recent thread about the same topic:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@struts.apache.org/msg21482.html

--
Wendy Smoak

RE: Overriding the init() method in the Action Servlet.

Posted by Mark Benussi <ma...@hotmail.com>.
In the web.xml your servlet for handling struts requests should currently be
org.apache.struts.actions.ActionServlet. Change this class to you own that
extends this class and then you can override any methods