Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by phil campaigne <pc...@charter.net> on 2005/05/18 18:28:22 UTC

context example

Hi,
I'm new to tomcat 5.0 and the use of context seems to have changed since
4.0.  I have a war that expands outside ROOT when I place it in the
webapps directory.  If I place it in the ROOT directory it doesn't.  I
also noticed that 5.0 doesn't use a context entry for ROOT.  So my
questions are:
1. do I need a context entry in server.xml for my war in the webapps
directory?
2. if yes, is there an example?
thanks,
Phil

Re: context example

Posted by phil campaigne <pc...@charter.net>.
Patrick Thomas wrote:

>Hi Phil,
>
>To answer your question directly; no, in 5 you don't need (and
>shouldn't have) a context entry in the server.xml for a war file (or
>any webapp for that matter). Assuming the war contains a context.xml
>file in META-INF, then tomcat will use that one (it will copy it to
>{TomcatHome}\conf\Catalina\hostname\WarFilename.xml and use it from
>there).
>
>Hope that clears things up.
>
>Cheers,
>Patrick
>

>On 5/18/05, phil campaigne <pc...@charter.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I'm new to tomcat 5.0 and the use of context seems to have changed since
>>4.0.  I have a war that expands outside ROOT when I place it in the
>>webapps directory.  If I place it in the ROOT directory it doesn't.  I
>>also noticed that 5.0 doesn't use a context entry for ROOT.  So my
>>questions are:
>>1. do I need a context entry in server.xml for my war in the webapps
>>directory?
>>2. if yes, is there an example?
>>thanks,
>>Phil