Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jm Seigneur <Je...@cs.tcd.ie> on 2003/04/18 18:22:38 UTC

excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar ??

Hello,

I've reinstalled James under Linux but it seems that
excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar isn't present in the james lib directory.
Then, when I start ./run.sh, Phoenix starts but James doesn't because
there's a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError : javax/activation/Datasource.
I suspect it is because the excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar isn't in the
lib directory. This excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar doesn't seem to be in
the james-2.1.2.zip. I don't remember how I ended up with
excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar in my Windows james lib. Is it the problem?
Should I copy excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar in the james lib directory?

Thanks,

Jm

Re: James crashes after a while under Linux

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
I installed James on a second Linux machine today (Debian) and will try
to find out more. Both systems are testsystems with no traffic at all
during the night, so your statement about your millions of messages
might underline my (absoulutely unproved) oppinion that it is some kind
of time out. Both my systems store users and mails in MySQL (which is
iddle the whole night as well)..

Stephan

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Steve <st...@browsermedia.com>.
Does this happen with both db-stores and file-stores? I had a theory
once before that the database was disconnecting after an exteneded
idle time. I seem to recall a post earlier that said James is not happy
if the db server is restarted or dis/re-connected. I also noted that
the problem for me went away when I switched back to file stores.

Any thoughts? Perhaps this is a red-herring?

Steve

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi list,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Would be nice to understand this issue.  I always run James with -server,
and have have any problems.

	--- Noel

RE: James crashes after a while under Linux

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Jean-Marc,

I can't run james with the -server option, it *always* dies sooer or later.

d.

Posted by Siraj Shakil <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

I have been running a James installation on a
production environment for 2+ months now on the same
spec. It hasn't crahsed yeat. I use the hotspot server
switch and no other swiches. My installations
processes more than 200 mails everyday.

Best regards,
Shakil

RE: RE: excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar ??

Posted by Jm Seigneur <Je...@cs.tcd.ie>.
Hello Stephan,

That's what I did first but then my Linux James started to crash after a
while. So, I'm trying to properly reinstall James under Linux.

Actually, javax/activation/Datasource is part of activation.jar not
excalibur-datasource-1.0.jar.

Now, my question is: When should activation.jar be installed in the
james lib directory?

I read your recent tutorial and for some reasons it didn't work to unzip
and run.sh.
To get it working, I had to copy manually activation.jar (that I had
somewhere else) in james lib.

Then, James started and I found out that under
...work/james-aNumber/SAR-INF/lib/ there were activation.jar,
mail_1_3.jar, cornerstone.jar, james.jar and other jars that I copied
under james lib. Otherwise, I couldn't start my Mailets because
james.jar couldn't be found after stopping James, changing the
config.xml (pointing to my Mailets) and restarting. After copying all
these jars, it worked and I hope that it's not going to crash this time
;)

Thanks anyway,

Jm

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.