Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rafael Angarita <ra...@telcel.net.ve> on 2002/09/19 22:05:03 UTC

Tomcat performance problems after a while

    My webserver is stopping  answering requests or answers too slowly
after a while running.
    If  a http request is sent  to tomcat directly it's answered quickly
but the same request to apache takes a lot of time to be answered
(request a .jsp file).
    If  the tomcat process is  stopped and started again (the apache is
not stopped), the requests to apache are answered quickly.
    It looks like something is happening inside the java process that
produces a poor performance after a while, but I have no clue, how to
look inside the java, it could be a configuration issue or  an
application issue  but all  I  can see  is not helpful to establish the
main reason....
    Any suggestion?

    The environment:
    - Solaris 8
    - Apache 1.3.26
    - tomcat 3.2.4
    - java 1.2
    - TheadPool Max = 600

    Thanks is advance,

--

Rafael Angarita

Re: Tomcat performance problems after a while

Posted by Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>.
Well, half right :-).

The 3.2.x line is known to have memory leaks.  Upgrading to Tomcat 3.3.1 is
probably enough.  For web-apps that don't require the Servlet-2.3/JSP-1.2
features, it is usually at least as fast as TC 4.0.x.  TC 4.1.x has
optimizations in the JSP compiler that are unlikely to be back-ported to the
3.3 line, so heavy JSP sites will win here.

As always, your mileage may very depending on what your web-app actually
does.  There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all.

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.com>.