Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2007/09/02 06:21:46 UTC

s2: problem with codebehind plugin

I am unable to point the codebehind plugin to pages underneath WEB-INF/jsp.
None of the pages are found, however, I noticed if I moved the directories
underneath the webroot, they are found. I am setting the Struts property
too.

  <constant name="struts.codebehind.pathPrefix" value="/WEB-INF/jsp/"/>

Paul

Re: s2: problem with codebehind plugin

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
No dice yet. I will tell you, I am not using any default package
configuration. I don't need that feature. Think that's the problem, Don?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> Isn't the WEB-INF folder access disallowed in order
> to block access to jar/classes?

Only blocked from the client; not the app server.
Hiding JSPs underneath WEB-INF as another layer to
prevent direct access is pretty typical.

d.

Re: s2: problem with codebehind plugin

Posted by Alexandru Popescu ☀ <th...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I am unable to point the codebehind plugin to pages underneath WEB-INF/jsp.
> None of the pages are found, however, I noticed if I moved the directories
> underneath the webroot, they are found. I am setting the Struts property
> too.
>
>   <constant name="struts.codebehind.pathPrefix" value="/WEB-INF/jsp/"/>
>
> Paul

Isn't the WEB-INF folder access disallowed in order to block access to
jar/classes?

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Re: SmartURLs (fork of s2: problem with codebehind plugin)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
On 9/11/07, Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com> wrote:
> >  * Would it be possible to support ReST-style parameters (which I
> > believe are also SEO-preferred), so that
> > "hello-world/save?message=Howdy" could be expressed
> > "hello-world/save/message/Howdy".
> >
> We could give it a shot. This is more of an ActionMapper concept than a
> smart URLs constraint. We could make a SmartURLs mapper that handles those.

The Rest action mappers already handle this, so it would be worth
taking a look how they do it.

> >    ** Something like "hello-world/save/+/message/Howdy" might work as
> > well, if including a parameter-start flag would simplify the code. (It
> > might simplify things for the developer too!)
> >
> Might. I've never made a mapper, so I would need to try before I knew
> exactly how easy or hard it was. I would imagine that a separator would
> simplify things a lot though.

Yeah, take a look at the rest mappers.  I'd rather not use something
like a separation character.  If rails can do it in a nice clean way,
so can we.

> >  * Should we look for .html after .jsp, .ftl, .vm? Is the extension
> > list configurable?
> >
> This isn't currently configurable because it requires knowing the result
> type that handles the specific extension. e.g. the FreeMarkerResult
> handles *.ftl. We could have a JSON style configuration for it though:
>
> {'ftl': 'freemarker', 'vm': 'velocity', ...}
>
> I'd be up for that. OGNL would also work since it is the Struts standard
> for that kinda thing. We could just send the value to OGNL and get the
> Map<String, String> back.

This could be extendable actually by other plugins.  Take a look how
template engines are loaded.  The manager class gets the Container
injected, then it looks for all implementations of a given interface,
using the alias as the implementation name.

Don

Re: SmartURLs (fork of s2: problem with codebehind plugin)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 9/11/07, Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com> wrote:
> I'll try and get an example running today that tests this dynamic
> parameters

If it helps, I have some sample code checked in here

 * http://sq1-struts2.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/articles/smart-ajax-apps/

It goes with an article I'm drafting.

No great rush on my end though :)

-Ted.

Re: SmartURLs (fork of s2: problem with codebehind plugin)

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
I haven't tried it, but the Result does take a parameters array, which,
depending on how it is handled, will allow expressions to be evaluated.
In addition, I thought about adding support for expressions within the
location of the Result annotation. This would allow you to use
non-action redirects with parameters. Something like this:

@Result(name="success", location="/purchase/complete?id=${po.id}",
type="redirect")

I'll try and get an example running today that tests this dynamic
parameters and also look into evaluating the result location via the
OGNL stack. This will probably need to be handled inside the results
themself, since Smart URLs doesn't actually do any of the work of
handling the results. It just figures out which ones to use.

-bp

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
Excellent feedback. Here's my thoughts:
>  * Is SEO "Search Engine Optimization"? What makes hello-action more
> compliant than HelloAction?

Most search engines do not understand or favor camel case as well as the
dash or underscore. In fact, some engines will favor the dash character
over underscores. So, that's why I set the default as the dash. Rails
and others seems to follow this standard as well.

>  * Would it be possible to support ReST-style parameters (which I
> believe are also SEO-preferred), so that
> "hello-world/save?message=Howdy" could be expressed
> "hello-world/save/message/Howdy".

We could give it a shot. This is more of an ActionMapper concept than a
smart URLs constraint. We could make a SmartURLs mapper that handles those.

>    ** Something like "hello-world/save/+/message/Howdy" might work as
> well, if including a parameter-start flag would simplify the code. (It
> might simplify things for the developer too!)

Might. I've never made a mapper, so I would need to try before I knew
exactly how easy or hard it was. I would imagine that a separator would
simplify things a lot though.

>  * Should we look for .html after .jsp, .ftl, .vm? Is the extension
> list configurable?

This isn't currently configurable because it requires knowing the result
type that handles the specific extension. e.g. the FreeMarkerResult
handles *.ftl. We could have a JSON style configuration for it though:

{'ftl': 'freemarker', 'vm': 'velocity', ...}

I'd be up for that. OGNL would also work since it is the Struts standard
for that kinda thing. We could just send the value to OGNL and get the
Map<String, String> back.

>  * Should we also look a page named for the result type in the current
> namespace and the default namespace (/foo/hello-error.jsp,
> /foo/error.jsp, /error.jsp, and then fall back to /foo/hello.jsp)?
>    ** A key use for "global" result-code pages might be login.
>    ** A side-effect would be that a page should probably NOT be named
> "success.jsp" :) But, in my experience, when it comes to result pages,
> success is local and failure is global.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be up for adding it. Just need to think
through all the semantics of it.

>  * If we branch to another ${result} page, should we look for a
> ${result} action, and automatically chain the actions?

Hmmm. Also a good thought. Although automatic chaining might be
dangerous. I tend to favor being explicit using the annotations when I'm
chaining. But, it could work to fall back to chaining if no other
results exist.

>  * Could there be a smarturls.base.action.package that automatically
> incorporated "sub" packages. Right now, it seems that we need to list
> each and every package.
>    ** smarturls.action.base.packages = "content"
>    *** automatically includes content, content.foo, content.bar, ...

This is already how it works. If you have sub-packages they are added
into their correct namespace. This is the same as the codebehind stuff
as well. If you have com.example.actions.Foo and
com.example.actions.bar.Baz you'll have these URLs:

/foo
/bar/baz

Unless I'm missing what you are asking. Or if you want all the
sub-packages to be in the same namespace.... But if you are talking
about that, I'd say it would be better to put all the actions into the
same package since after all it is convention based.

>  * Using "" for a the base.result.location exposes an exception.

Hmmm... Yeah, that could be an issue. hehe. You could probably use "/".
I'll fix this today if I have time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: SmartURLs (fork of s2: problem with codebehind plugin)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
So, I've been having great fun with the SmartURLs plugin, and, well, I
have some notes :)

I'd be happy to open issues for each of these on the Google Code site,
but I thought it might be fun to bunch them together for the group.

[...]

SEVERE: Exception starting filter struts2
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to make a URL
    at net.java.lang.URLClassLoaderResolver.prepare(URLClassLoaderResolver.java:96)
    at net.java.lang.URLClassLoaderResolver.prepare(URLClassLoaderResolver.java:39)
    at net.java.lang.AbstractClassLoaderResolver.addIfMatching(AbstractClassLoaderResolver.java:261)
    at net.java.lang.AbstractClassLoaderResolver.loadResourcesInDirectory(AbstractClassLoaderResolver.java:199)
    at net.java.lang.AbstractClassLoaderResolver.findInDirectory(AbstractClassLoaderResolver.java:162)
    at net.java.lang.AbstractClassLoaderResolver.find(AbstractClassLoaderResolver.java:103)
    at org.texturemedia.smarturls.DefaultResultMapBuilder.createFromResources(DefaultResultMapBuilder.java:229)
    at org.texturemedia.smarturls.DefaultResultMapBuilder.build(DefaultResultMapBuilder.java:183)
    at org.texturemedia.smarturls.PackageBasedActionConfigBuilder.createActionConfig(PackageBasedActionConfigBuilder.java:307)
    at org.texturemedia.smarturls.PackageBasedActionConfigBuilder.buildActionConfigs(PackageBasedActionConfigBuilder.java:203)
    at org.texturemedia.smarturls.SmartURLsConfigurationProvider.loadPackages(SmartURLsConfigurationProvider.java:92)
    at com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.impl.DefaultConfiguration.reload(DefaultConfiguration.java:152)
    at com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.ConfigurationManager.getConfiguration(ConfigurationManager.java:52)
    at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.init_PreloadConfiguration(Dispatcher.java:395)
    at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.init(Dispatcher.java:452)
    at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher.init(FilterDispatcher.java:201)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:223)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:304)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:77)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:3634)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4217)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)
Caused by: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: /struts.xml
    at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at net.java.lang.URLClassLoaderResolver.prepare(URLClassLoaderResolver.java:94)
    ... 33 more

-----

-Ted.

Re: SmartURLs (fork of s2: problem with codebehind plugin)

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
Ah, good catch. I'll fix that so that if it isn't set, it will assume no
packages exist, which seems like it is an acceptable case.

-bp

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

HTH, Ted <http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>

Re: SmartURLs (fork of s2: problem with codebehind plugin)

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
Okay. Just finishing up the release of 0.18 and I'll put up that ZIP
file. This uses DOM (just to save myself the headache of SAX handlers)
and all the tests pass. I completely removed all the JDK 1.6 and JAXB
stuff and things should be fine with JDK 1.5.

You all should be able to drop the JAR files into any application and be
good to go. Let me know if anything doesn't work. I'll do some testing
on my side as well, but from what I can see, things are working as expected.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in building this stuff from source, I
can show you how setup vertigo-ant. It's a pretty simple process.

-bp

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Cushing <ji...@mac.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
You could also try SmartURLs plugin. I've finally gotten around to
writing documentation. I need to publish the latest JAR file today, but
once that is up it works very well and I use it with directories like
/WEB-INF/content and others.

http://code.google.com/p/smarturls-s2

And the docs are:

http://code.google.com/p/smarturls-s2/w/list