Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/23 19:19:30 UTC

whoa! our official upgrade procedures require 8096?

I complained once before that I didn't like the existence of 8096 but
then plenty responded that its an optional thing.  I just noticed in
another thread that cloud-sysvmadm requires 8096.  This is exactly why
8096 should not exist.  If we create an unauthenticated backdoor, its
just too tempting to use it.  So now as part of our official upgrade
procedures we tell people to turn on 8096 on a production cloud to
reboot the system VMs.  I don't think that's acceptable.

Darren

Re: whoa! our official upgrade procedures require 8096?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Or make it a cloudmonkey script.

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.
The script was created back when 8096 was opened by default. We should def. come up with more secure way for calling the Apis for system vms restart. We already have APIs for restarting the vms, they just have to be called against all system vms in cloudstack  - therefore the script.

My suggestion would be:

  *   create bash/python script that lists all the vms using official list* apis (instead of parsing the db records)
  *   Preserve the same options for system vm restarts from the original scripts
  *   Make the calls secure (read the api/secret keys from the file or stdin)

-alena.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.