Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/26 10:28:23 UTC

wc reverse migration

well, i wonder if such a concept as wc migration exists.

i am aware of the repository migration chapter on the great
svn book. but i happened to 'touch' my WC that was created
with svn version 1.3.0 (r17949) with either ankh or tortoise
created with svn 1.4.x (i am in the process of evangelizing
at my company and wanted them to see how svn can be
used with windows).

the problem is that when i try to svn status at my old WC,
which uses svn cli under cygwin (whose latest version
seems to be 1.3.2), it says

$ svn status
svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'db/testXact';
please get a newer Subversion client
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.3.0 (r17949)
   compiled Mar 14 2006, 17:06:45

is there a way to reverse-migrate to working copy so that
i can still work with the svn cli?

is there a link that deals with WC version migration?

btw, the repository still uses subversion version 1.1.4, the
latest official with debian.

Re: wc reverse migration

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
i tried svn-dumping with my current svn version (1.3.1), but
i got this error. what should i do? installing a 1.2.x svn to
perform the dump?

svnadmin: Berkeley DB error for filesystem wygccash/db while opening
environment:
DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version mismatch
svnadmin: bdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version

RE: Re: wc reverse migration

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <An...@BellSouth.com>.

Errr, my point is that you don't need to wait for the cygwin 1.4.0
binaries.  Just install the regular Windows (non-cygwin) Subversion
1.4.0 command line client that gets installed to c:\program
files\Subversion.  You might need to reorder $PATH to call the Windows
SVN instead of the current Cygwin SVN (or uninstall Cygwin's SVN.)

	$ which svn
	/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Subversion/bin/svn

I regularly run Windows specific apps from the bash shell, such as
ActiveState's Perl instead of Cygwin's Perl.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA624

Re: wc reverse migration

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Duncan, so simple, so easy. I feel somehow stupid
for not finding it myself.

I have another question at the end of this email, I'd be grateful
if someone can take a look :

Re: wc reverse migration

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 9/26/2006 6:28 AM, marc gonzalez-carnicer wrote:
> well, i wonder if such a concept as wc migration exists.
>
> i am aware of the repository migration chapter on the great
> svn book. but i happened to 'touch' my WC that was created
> with svn version 1.3.0 (r17949) with either ankh or tortoise
> created with svn 1.4.x (i am in the process of evangelizing
> at my company and wanted them to see how svn can be
> used with windows).
>
> the problem is that when i try to svn status at my old WC,
> which uses svn cli under cygwin (whose latest version
> seems to be 1.3.2), it says
>
> $ svn status
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'db/testXact';
> please get a newer Subversion client
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.3.0 (r17949)
>    compiled Mar 14 2006, 17:06:45
>
> is there a way to reverse-migrate to working copy so that
> i can still work with the svn cli?
>
> is there a link that deals with WC version migration?
>
> btw, the repository still uses subversion version 1.1.4, the
> latest official with debian.

I'd check out a new copy somewhere else, then if you have local mods to
preserve copy them over top of the new copy.  If you aren't sure which
files contain local mods (because your client refuses to tell you), just
copy all the files (but not the .svn directories).

Duncan Murdoch

Re: wc reverse migration

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <An...@BellSouth.com>.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA623