Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Tim Kiefer <ti...@gmx.de> on 2010/02/23 12:44:28 UTC

How are intermediate key/value pairs materialized between map and reduce?

Hi there,

can anybody help me out on a (most likely) simple unclarity.

I am wondering how intermediate key/value pairs are materialized. I have
a job where the map phase produces 600,000 records and map output bytes
is ~300GB. What I thought (up to now) is that these 600,000 records,
i.e., 300GB, are materialized locally by the mappers and that later on
reducers pull these records (based on the key).
What I see (and cannot explain) is that the FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN counter
is as high as ~900GB.

So - where does the factor 3 come from between Map output bytes and
FILE_BYTES_WRITTEN??? I thought about the replication factor of 3 in the
file system - but that should be HDFS only?!

Thanks
- tim

Re: How are intermediate key/value pairs materialized between map and reduce?

Posted by Ed Mazur <ma...@cs.umass.edu>.
As you noticed, your map tasks are spilling three times as many
records as they are outputting. In general, if the map output buffer
is large enough to hold all records in memory, these values will be
equal. If there isn't enough room, as was the case with your job, the
buffer makes additional intermediate spills.

To fix this, you can try tuning the per-job configurables io.sort.mb
and io.sort.record.percent. Look at the counters of a few map tasks to
get an idea of how much data (io.sort.mb) and how many records
(io.sort.record.percent) they produce.

Ed

Posted by Amogh Vasekar <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,
>>Map spilled records: 1,802,965 (ahhh... now that you ask for it - here there also is a factor of 3 between output and spilled).
Exactly what I suspected :)
Ed has already provided some pointers as to why this is the case. You should try to minimize this number as much as possible, since this along with the "Reduce Shuffle Bytes" degrades your job performance by considerable amount.
To understand the internals and what Ed said, I would strongly recommend going through
http://www.slideshare.net/gnap/berkeley-performance-tuning
By a few fellow Yahoos. There is detailed explanation on why map side spills occur and how one can minimize that :)

Thanks,
Amogh

Posted by Tim Kiefer <ti...@gmx.de>.
Sure,