Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ZeePeeWee <pe...@rocketmail.com> on 2008/10/22 16:47:23 UTC

Reading a message with a amqsgetc

I'm using the example ant producer to put messages on a queue. That's worked
fine and I've 2000 messages on a queue. Can I then read them using amqsgetc
or the by using com.ibm.mq libraries?
I don't see where anyone has done this so I'm guessing it's not possible. I
just want to read the messages I've put on with the sample tool. I don't
want produce any messages myself. I've tried various jms settings all with
no real success.

Thanks For Your Help. =)

Peter

Re: Reading a message with a amqsgetc

Posted by ZeePeeWee <pe...@rocketmail.com>.
Yes I tried the consumer tool and that worked fine. I ideally want to read
what I have placed on
activemq with IBM tooling. Initially the test tool "getc" and then with the
MQQueueManager and associated classes out of the com.ibm.mq jars.

My final aim to provide an IBM look-alike interface for reading whose
underbelly is actually activemq. I was hoping that the IBM tools would use
some standard protocol - they are clearly not doing so. This would be for
test environments where Websphere MQ isn't readily available. However a
quick activemq installation plus a little bit of reading software would be
easy to make available.

As others have suggested it's probably writing your own code and then using
some camel type approach. Although you still wonder if that will work due to
the protocol issues.

--back to the drawing board. cheers for the answers.

Pete

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:47 AM, ZeePeeWee <pe...@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using the example ant producer to put messages on a queue. That's worked
> fine and I've 2000 messages on a queue. Can I then read them using amqsgetc
> or the by using com.ibm.mq libraries?

You will need to connect to ActiveMQ using the
ActiveMQConnectionFactory and then read the messages using standard
JMS APIs.

> I don't see where anyone has done this so I'm guessing it's not possible. I
> just want to read the messages I've put on with the sample tool. I don't
> want produce any messages myself. I've tried various jms settings all with
> no real success.

With the examples is a consumer that can be run via the 'ant consumer' command.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Reading a message with a amqsgetc

Posted by Joe Fernandez <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.
No, you'll have to either use ActiveMQ client libraries, set up a bridge
between ActiveMQ and MQ, or maybe use Camel to bridge the two.

Joe
http://www.ttmsolutions.com - get a free ActiveMQ user guide

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
2008/10/22 ZeePeeWee <pe...@rocketmail.com>:

> I'm using the example ant producer to put messages on a queue. That's worked
> fine and I've 2000 messages on a queue. Can I then read them using amqsgetc
> or the by using com.ibm.mq libraries?

Neither of those will work AFAIK

> I don't see where anyone has done this so I'm guessing it's not possible. I
> just want to read the messages I've put on with the sample tool. I don't
> want produce any messages myself. I've tried various jms settings all with
> no real success.

Have you tried using the web console?
http://activemq.apache.org/web-console.html
--