Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org> on 2002/03/25 23:54:45 UTC

Search Menu

Hi Stas,

What needs to be done to get the "Search" menu to be selected when on the
search page?

Also, I still find myself looking for that Home link in the menu.  If
everyone really things that's not necessary then what about making the
"perl.apache.org" at the top of the menu a link?

Regardless, the link for the graphic should be relative to root and not
absolute to perl.apache.org.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: Search Menu

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 18:22 26.03.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>>ah, no, it should point to perl.apache.org.
>>>If someone builds a mirror of the site, this takes users to the master site.
>>
>>Are you sure about that? If someone builds a mirror, the point is exactly
>>that it mirrors everything, so no need to go to perl.apache.org.
>>For example, if our load go very high and we wanted to mirror it because
>>of that, people wanting to go back to the main page wouldn't want to be
>>brought to the apache server.
>>Ok, hypotetically of course :)
>>Anyway, this is how the PHP site does it.
>
>Not everything that PHP does means we should do it. Let's be innovators,
>not followers. Of course common sense applied.

I didn't say that :) mod_perl is better, only the designers who see the PHP
site compared to the current mod_perl site don't understand that :)
No, anyway, I just wanted to reference the PHP site as it has mirrors of
its site worldwide: CPAN too does this:
On http://cpan.skynet.be/modules/index.html , CPAN/ links back to the front
page.
I know we do the same in the Home / part, but there's no reason for the
logo to be any different.

>>>now I'm not sure where 'perl.apache.org' should link. I think of course
>>>to 'perl.apache.org'.
>>
>>I suggest the same as the logo: back to the root.
>
>my common sense says that perl.apache.org cannot link to foo.my.mirror.com.
>
>Both links are not obvious links and shouldn't be. They aren't part of the
>navigation. They just happen to be linked to the home page, they don't have to.
>
>(the perl.apache.org is not linked yet... will do that when Allan gets
>things done, I don't want to mess up his design work with unnecessary
>merge work)
>
>>>In any case you are searching for the 'Home' link only because you are a
>>>site developer. 99.9% of users will never need to go 'Home' since there
>>>is nothing to do there. The menu *is* the home. What do you think?
>>
>>Well, it's usual to have a home link, and it's good to complete the
>>navigation. I think we should have one, or atleast perl.apache.org and
>>the logo pointing back, as it's not a burden, only a plus.
>
>Adding it to the menu doesn't fit into the hierarchy,
>Since the 'Home' is above everything.
>
>Hence it's located on the top (above everything :) of the page, unless you
>are already at Home.
>I believe it's just a matter of getting used to it. If people will
>complain we can change this later.
>
>Sorry for being stubborn. ;)

Actually, you're right. We already have a Home link, in the top hierarchy :)
So I'll forget about that.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: Search Menu

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: Search Menu

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Re: Search Menu

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: Search Menu

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Bill Moseley wrote:
> Hi Stas,
>
> What needs to be done to get the "Search" menu to be selected when on the
> search page?

if we remove it, it's a non-issue :)

> Also, I still find myself looking for that Home link in the menu.  If
> everyone really things that's not necessary then what about making the
> "perl.apache.org" at the top of the menu a link?

+1 => todo

> Regardless, the link for the graphic should be relative to root and not
> absolute to perl.apache.org.

+1 => todo