Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net> on 2018/04/28 20:10:55 UTC

[Discussion] "Life after FlashPlayer" post @flex lists (Was: Royale Frameworks and More)

Hi,

> IMO, we don’t need a survey, just the right words in the subject and body
> of emails that will start > > > discussion and elicit responses...

After thinking about it a bit more I came to the conclusion that there's no
need to mention Royale as an alternative to Flex in order to start a
discussion.
I guess what we all want to know is what all those Flex users and apps are
doing out there.
So I've focused on this and wrote a first draft [1], please take a look at
it and make your comments.
Feel free to revise it.

Thanks,
Olaf

[1]

Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Hi,
even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology, Flex
in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current Browser
versions around 2020!

The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we assume
that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.

So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your Flex
apps, e.g.

- Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
- Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
- Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
- ...

If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about what
your plans are.

Thanks,
Olaf
On behalf of the Apache Royale (FlexJS) PMC

--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: [Discussion] "Life after FlashPlayer" post @flex lists (Was: Royale Frameworks and More)

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Jerry,
it seems to me that you already answered to our draft of the "Life after
FlashPlayer" post which will be published on the Flex lists soon.
So, first thanks for your feedback!
It would be great if you would post your thoughts on the upcoming "Life
after FlashPlayer" thread again as soon as it is published on the Flex
lists.

Thanks,
Olaf

Posted by "jerryhamby@vdex.com" <je...@vdex.com>.
Here are a few points that may or may not help:

1- I was a long time Flex Developer
2- I do not have an app in either app store
3- The Flex market moved away from me, thanks to Steve Jobs, Adobe and other factors
4- I’m now doing Swift development for mobile (soon will start an Android (Kotlin) version of the app)
5- I miss using Flex and hope Royale becomes a good replacement (hurry up, things are falling out of my brain everyday)
6- Only so many hours in a day to learn everything, would like to move to Royale for cross platform apps and web  development
7- Can’t participate in the Royale development because I’m spending too much time learning Swift, Android and somethings Bootstrap with Javascript

Hope this helps,
Jerry Hamby

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
>...I would like to see it posted with a big button at the end saying ‘TRY
ROYALE NOW'

Additionally to what Om said, we're also working on a browser app which will
let you try out Apache Royale in the browser online:
Write MXML/AS3 and click just one button in order to compile your code and
to display the result.

But keep in mind that it is all volunteer-driven here, so it takes its
time...

Thanks,
Olaf

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Dany, thanks for the additional info.  I will play around with this a bit
more soon and update here.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 1, 2018, 8:13 PM Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

> That's my windows machine that I used for 0.9.2.
>
> Where did it say 0.9.3?

It shows up after the npm install completes.

I'm trying to remember if I published the package to NPM or if you did.

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Alex,

The version number here came from package.json so it should have been updated by someone.

I reinstalled from the link you provided with no problem.
But running the royale server:debug [1] command gives me the same errors as before.

I noticed that when running: royale new  my-royale-app, only an app folder is created with a src folder in it.
In this src folder, there is a main.mxml file. So no other files or folders whatsoever are created by the 'new' command.

This explains the error:
Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Documents/ARCHEMEDIA/ROYALE/my-royale-app/src/bin/js-debug/index.html'

-Dany

[1] https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/npm/cli

Op 2 mei 2018 om 05:13 uur uur schreef Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>:

That's my windows machine that I used for 0.9.2.

Where did it say 0.9.3? I'm trying to remember if I published the package to NPM or if you did. Maybe the scripts are running or were run after some versions got updated in the repos. I have not run a build on my windows machine since the release.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Om,

On 5/1/18, 10:49 AM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala" <omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

    > Hi Dany,
    >
    > The link is directly to a tar.gz built by our CI server.  No humans
    > involved, and no special packaging for NPM.  NPM says it can install any
    > tar.gz file.  Try downloading the file at that link and using Mac Finder to
    > expand it into a folder.  For me it expands without errors.  This is why I
    > believe it is some incompatibility with NPM.
    >
    > If the tar.gz expands for you on Mac, you can try to "npm install" the
    > folder.  Running:
    >
    >     sudo npm install -g <path-to-folder>
    >
    > seemed to work for me.
    >
    > -Alex

    I just tried

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Hi Om

I also noticed that 0.9.3 was installeren so I tried ...@0.9.2 but that was non existing. ...@0.9.1 did exist but gave the same result/errors

-Dany

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Dany,
>
> The link is directly to a tar.gz built by our CI server.  No humans
> involved, and no special packaging for NPM.  NPM says it can install any
> tar.gz file.  Try downloading the file at that link and using Mac Finder to
> expand it into a folder.  For me it expands without errors.  This is why I
> believe it is some incompatibility with NPM.
>
> If the tar.gz expands for you on Mac, you can try to "npm install" the
> folder.  Running:
>
>     sudo npm install -g <path-to-folder>
>
> seemed to work for me.
>
> -Alex

I just tried

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Dany,

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Hi Om,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Dany,

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Hi Om,

Thanks for pointing that out.

I’ll have a go with that scenario.

1. (re) installing royale
npm install @apache-royale/royale-js -g
WARN tar invalid entry extract:@apache-royale/royale-js: verb lock using /Users/dany/.npm/_locks/staging-3a08f0df5026584d.lock for /usr/local/lib/node_modules/.staging
WARN tar invalid entry

Then hundreds of ‘invalid entry’ lines in the terminal.

And finally

…

WARN tar invalid entry
/usr/local/bin/asjscompc -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@apache-royale/royale-js/royale-asjs/js/bin/asjscompcnpm
/usr/local/bin/asjsc -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@apache-royale/royale-js/royale-asjs/js/bin/asjscnpm
/usr/local/bin/compc -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@apache-royale/royale-js/royale-asjs/js/bin/compcnpm
/usr/local/bin/externc -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@apache-royale/royale-js/royale-asjs/js/bin/externcnpm
/usr/local/bin/asnodec -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@apache-royale/royale-js/royale-asjs/js/bin/asnodecnpm
/usr/local/bin/mxmlc -> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@apache-royale/royale-js/royale-asjs/js/bin/mxmlcnpm
+ @apache-royale/royale-js@0.9.3
updated 1 package in 17.395s

What are those invalid entries??

2. install cli tool

npm install @apache-royale/cli@alpha -g
no problem here

3. create royale app

royale new helloWorld
cd helloWorld

>> no problem

4. running the app

royale serve:debug

Didn’t work:

helloWorld dany$  > royale serve:debug
Compiling...
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.google.common.base.internal.Finalizer (file:/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@apache-royale/royale-js/royale-asjs/js/lib/guava.jar) to field java.lang.Thread.inheritableThreadLocals
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.google.common.base.internal.Finalizer

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 3:50 AM, Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few thoughts:
>

> In our organization, I built a big backoffice web application in Flex
> about 2 years ago. Now, we are obliged to make it future proof, which
> means, no Flash dependency at all.
> We chose react.js. So the last couple of months, I studied react, npm,
> node, webpack, babel, …
> It’s clear that the most popular technologies for creating web
> applications nowadays are cli driven packages like react, angular, (vue)
> I really think royale should be in this list!
> The whole thing is about getting people up and running in no time. And
> getting started quickly is all about configuration.
> An example: for react, a npm package create-react-app is available which
> is as simple as:
>
> create-react-app my-app
> cd my-app
> yarn start (or npm start)
>
> These commands setup a whole file structure, configures webpack and babel,
> runs a local dev server and start up a boilerplate app. Ready to go!
>
> couldn’t we make a create-royale-app package?

We do have such a thing.  Please check out the royale cli tool.
Setup instructions here:
https://github.com/apache/royale-asjs/tree/develop/npm/cli
I think it does what you are asking for and more :-)  For example, it
monitors your src folder and recompiles the Royale app and reloads the
browser as well!

One of these days we need to make a blog post about this.  I would really
really like feedback so we can make this tool better.

> This boilerplate could contain a ready-to-go set of components:
> Navigationheader on top, then a left pane and content pane, which are
> responsive and a set of basic components like drop down, button, list, …
>
> All this packed with a clean but robust set of css styling.

Right now, the cli installs a very simple hello-world app.  I am planning
on replacing this with a Jewel themed app soon.  Volunteers are more than
welcome to help out here.

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Hi all,

[...]

So, as much as I agree with the ‘Life after FlashPlayer’ questionnaire, I would like to see it posted with a big button at the end saying ‘TRY ROYALE NOW'

-Dany

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Alex,
good idea, I've revised the draft [1].
If there aren't any objections, I'll post this at dev@flex and users@flex in
about 24 hours.

Thanks,
Olaf

[1]
Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Olaf,