Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Oliver Chua <ol...@softhome.net> on 2004/10/12 12:06:55 UTC

Incompatible Validation Javascript with JWebunit

I've recently migrated from Struts 1.1 to Struts 1.2.4
I'm using jwebUnit for functional testing of my struts app.
(JwebUnit 1.2 dependent on HttpUnit 1.5.4 and Rhino 1.5R4.1 I think)

After I migrated, some of my functional tests failed.
It objects to the getAttributeNode method in the generated javascript.
This is for the part that is generated when the javascript attribute
is set to true. (i.e.  function validateFloatRange(form), etc. )

There is no issue when using Internet Explorer, as its javascript engine can
handle it.
However, to make my JWebUnit tests run, I have to turn off javascript.
I realize this is the new version of the javascript part of the validator.
But, is there a way to make the static javascript part compatible with
jWebUnit, maybe the old version will stil work when plugged in?

Re: Incompatible Validation Javascript with JWebunit

Posted by Oliver Chua <ol...@softhome.net>.
Sorry for not being clear.
JWebUnit (http unit testing framework) throws an Exception when it reads the
page containing the
javascript with the getAttributeNode function.

Yes, I think you're right about the function being part of the W3C DOM Level
1.
And yes, it works fine on Internet Explorer.

jWebUnit depends on HttpUnit, which in turn depends on Rhino,
which is responsible for parsing javascript code.
Given this scenario, It's easy to see how JWebUnit can lag behind on
javascript support.
I don't think support for the getAttributeNode function is forthcoming.

For me to be able to maintain our web application (and to keep my sanity),
I need to be able to create and run http unit tests on our web app.
Since I'm pretty much stuck with jWebUnit with its 'outdated' javascript
support,
is there some kind of workaround?

I'm thinking a backward compatible version of the validator script that
is similar to the one used in Struts1.1...

Oliver

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.