Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2009/10/13 14:32:46 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released

Hello,

Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 has been released and is available for download:

	http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html

This is the first beta release of CouchDB, so well done everyone to
who made that possible!

Changes in this release:

	• Added modular configuration file directories.
	• Miscellaneous improvements to build, system integration, and
portability.

This release contains backwards incompatible changes:

	http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Breaking_changes

CouchDB is a document-oriented database that can be queried and
indexed in a MapReduce fashion using JavaScript. CouchDB also offers
incremental replication with bi-directional conflict detection and
resolution.

CouchDB provides a RESTful JSON API than can be accessed from any
environment that allows HTTP requests. There are myriad third-party
client libraries that make this even easier from your programming
language of choice. CouchDB’s built in Web administration console
speaks directly to the database using HTTP requests issued from your
browser.

CouchDB is written in Erlang, a robust functional programming language
ideal for building concurrent distributed systems. Erlang allows for a
flexible design that is easily scalable and readily extensible.

Relax and prosper,

Noah

Re: CouchDB in Ubuntu [was: Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released]

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
> Thanks Elliot, and everyone at Ubuntu! I'm really excited to see what
> people do with a local CouchDB. This means a lot for the project and
> I'm honored to hear your praise for the community.
>
> Thanks, devs - without people writing patches, there is no CouchDB.
> This is an important time for the project - let's make sure to give
> gentle introductions to the rush of new users.

We should re-start the community mailing list/wiki discussions soon.

> Now is a great time to be writing "hello world" tutorials - we have a
> unique opportunity to shape the future of the web, and the best way to
> do that is to make it easy for new people to get up to speed and feel
> their voice is heard in the project.

+1

Re: CouchDB in Ubuntu [was: Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released]

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Elliot Murphy <el...@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/2009 08:32 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 has been released and is available for download:
>>
>>     http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html
>>
>> This is the first beta release of CouchDB, so well done everyone to who
>> made that possible!
>
> This release was uploaded to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) a few hours ago,
> narrowly beating the final release freeze, so it will have a LOT of new
> users. We're putting the final touches on the server side of
> https://one.ubuntu.com and by the time Ubuntu 9.10 is released on
> October 29th every single Ubuntu user will have an address book stored
> in CouchDB that replicates with one.ubuntu.com, and Tomboy notes that
> are replicated via a web API at the application but then stored in
> CouchDB and carried along in the CouchDB replication that we have set
> up. Optionally they can also store all their Firefox bookmarks in
> CouchDB and have those replicated as well. We'll be doing our best to
> help teach application developers to use CouchDB in order to
> "cloud-enable" their apps. A couch on every desktop!

Thanks Elliot, and everyone at Ubuntu! I'm really excited to see what
people do with a local CouchDB. This means a lot for the project and
I'm honored to hear your praise for the community.

Thanks, devs - without people writing patches, there is no CouchDB.
This is an important time for the project - let's make sure to give
gentle introductions to the rush of new users.

Now is a great time to be writing "hello world" tutorials - we have a
unique opportunity to shape the future of the web, and the best way to
do that is to make it easy for new people to get up to speed and feel
their voice is heard in the project.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: CouchDB in Ubuntu [was: Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released]

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On 19 Oct 2009, at 03:55, Elliot Murphy wrote:

> I sat down to look at this tonight, and see that Sergei has already
> uploaded Couchdb 0.10 to debian, hurrah! I still need to push up a
> handful of packaging fixes/changes that we made in Ubuntu, but at
> least
> 0.10 is available already. Thanks for reminding about it :)

People keep bothering me by email about the package, so I am just
forwarding it to you. Hehe.

Pesky opan saurce people, always emailing me with their problems. ;)

Also, thanks!

Re: CouchDB in Ubuntu [was: Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released]

Posted by Elliot Murphy <el...@canonical.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
> This release was uploaded to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) a few hours ago,
> narrowly beating the final release freeze, so it will have a LOT of
> new
> users. We're putting the final touches on the server side of
> https://one.ubuntu.com and by the time Ubuntu 9.10 is released on
> October 29th every single Ubuntu user will have an address book stored
> in CouchDB that replicates with one.ubuntu.com, and Tomboy notes that
> are replicated via a web API at the application but then stored in
> CouchDB and carried along in the CouchDB replication that we have set
> up. Optionally they can also store all their Firefox bookmarks in
> CouchDB and have those replicated as well. We'll be doing our best to
> help teach application developers to use CouchDB in order to
> "cloud-enable" their apps. A couch on every desktop!

Thanks, this is awesome.

> I'd like to say thank you to the whole CouchDB developer community for
> tirelessly hacking on such a cool project, and for the extra efforts
> many of you have made to pull 0.10 together in time for the Ubuntu
> release. It's risky building a new service that depends on beta
> technology, but what I've seen from this project fills me with
> confidence that we made the right choice for Ubuntu. Anyone working on
> CouchDB who's interested is very welcome to attend the Ubuntu
> Developer
> summit November 16-20 in Dallas: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-L

With my gadfly hat on, do you think you could co-ordinate pushing up
this to Debian too?

Thanks,

Noah

CouchDB in Ubuntu [was: Apache CouchDB 0.10. has been released]

Posted by Elliot Murphy <el...@canonical.com>.