Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Res <re...@ausics.net> on 2008/06/14 00:43:05 UTC

[users@httpd] 2.2.9 missing options, no sql

Folks,

When we sorted out the licence issues with mysql inclusion in 2.2.8 a very
simple configure of adding --with-mysql  became a dream, now this and an
important option for this system, the --with-devrandom  option, have both
dissapeared and configure puts up warnings all over the place...

I decided to make sure, so I nuked it and re did 2.2.8, yep works a
treat, 2.2.9, who knows what random its using, hopefully it now uses
urandom here on default, but mysql did not get included when I tested with
ldd for libmysqlclient_r

The configure I've used is-

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-so --enable-modules=all
--disable-dav --enable-suexec --with-suexec-docroot=/var/www
--with-suexec-caller=apache
--with-suexec-logfile=/var/log/apache/suexec_log --with-included-apr
--with-devrandom=/dev/urandom --with-mysql

So the question is, who broke it? Changelog reflects nothing on either.

(Linux, kernel 2.6.24.7 GCC 4.1.2)

--
Cheers
Res

I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

Re: [users@httpd] 2.2.9 missing options, no sql

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>> If I rebuilt with disable util dso, all works happily again.
>
> You sort of got this but didn't really, could you pass us your
> `uname -a` please?  Trying to narrow this down.

sure,
Linux dev 2.6.24.7 #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 11:41:03 EST 2008 i686 Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

On a good note since rebuilt with no 'util dso' its passed all stress
testing overnight so we'll be rolling out on all productions Monday :)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Tom Donovan wrote:

> I'm guessing he probably missed something in his DBDParams, or else
> MySQL wasn't running when he tested.

Possible.  I just found it very quirky that this happens only in dso
mode, he seems to have an understanding of things (enough to delve into
how the linkages have changed with ldd).  Supposing it's still possibly
related the dso behavior, or the behavior of libmysqlclient_r when
loaded mid-application as opposed to at runtime startup?

Re: [users@httpd] 2.2.9 missing options, no sql

Posted by Tom Donovan <do...@bellatlantic.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Looking over the patches, none seem to correspond to this gentleman's post
> from over on users@httpd.  Could anyone particularly familiar with mysql
> take a quick look and perhaps come up with a few ideas?  Seems that this
> user has a perfectly working non-dso config which fails with our new
> default.
>
> Given my work-work yesterday, and the nature of this bug, my time to work
> on a 1.3.1 release was shortcut and I'd love to have this sort of problem
> cleaned up anyways by 1.3.1(!)
>
> Res wrote:
>>
>>> However - with or without --disable-util-dso, if you've built
>>> --with-mysql
>>> the necessary linkages exist, and you should be able to use the various
>>> mod_xxx_dbd modules against mysql.  If *that* doesn't work even without
>>> disabling dso, please holler.
>
>> [Sat Jun 14 16:06:10 2008] [error] (20014)Internal error: DBD: Can't
>> connect to mysql
>> [Sat Jun 14 16:06:10 2008] [error] [client 192.168.0.150] Failed to
>> acquire database connection to look up <snip>
>>
>> If I rebuilt with disable util dso, all works happily again.

I tried building 2.2.9 on debian etch --with-mysql (a regular dso build) and couldn't reproduce his
problem.  The mysql driver builds and works fine for me with MySQL 5.0.32 from the regular debian
package.

The error message "Can't connect to mysql" is reported for an apr_dbd_open() error, not an
apr_dbd_get_driver() error - so he had the dso driver and it loaded OK.

I'm guessing he probably missed something in his DBDParams, or else MySQL wasn't running when he tested.

-tom-

Re: [users@httpd] 2.2.9 missing options, no sql

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
William,

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Missed the last bit of your question...

Thats OK, I do it often :)

> Res wrote:
>> 2.2.9 gives the appearance its
>> broken but is not when you have the extra information, was there any
>> operational reason why it was changed to this?
>
> Simple.  Build with five different dbd providers and you drag all that
> *crap* into every httpd process, with or without using it.  With the
> now-default dso option, you will only be loading the db client drivers

That does make sense.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Res wrote:
> 2.2.9 gives the appearance its
> broken but is not when you have the extra information, was there any
> operational reason why it was changed to this?

Simple.  Build with five different dbd providers and you drag all that
*crap* into every httpd process, with or without using it.  With the
now-default dso option, you will only be loading the db client drivers
for the files you actually bind to.  And for something like htpasswd
which you want to drag around with you, it won't carry any of this
garbage at all.

Re: [users@httpd] 2.2.9 missing options, no sql

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
Tom,

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Tom Donovan wrote:

>> simple configure of adding --with-mysql  became a dream, now this and an
>> important option for this system, the --with-devrandom  option, have both
>> dissapeared and configure puts up warnings all over the place...
>
> Do you mean "configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --with-devrandom,
> --with-mysql" ?
>
> This appears to be a new warning with autoconf 2.62, but the options still
> work correctly.
> You can add --disable-option-checking to suppress these warnings.

Ok thanks

> urandom is now the default, see
> grep DEV_RANDOM srclib/apr/include/arch/unix/apr_private.h

Excellent, verified...

>> on default, but mysql did not get included when I tested with ldd for
>> libmysqlclient_r
> Did you use ldd on /usr/local/apache/lib/apr-util-1/apr_dbd_mysql.so ?

I used it on the installed httpd as I've always done and was recommended
to me by a dev member some time ago, that shows nothing, doing it on your
above file shows:

ldd /usr/local/apache/lib/apr-util-1/apr_dbd_mysql.so
         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
         libmysqlclient_r.so.15 => /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.so.15
(0xb7e26000)
         libz.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7e12000)
         libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0xb7de4000)
         libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0xb7dcd000)
         libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7da6000)
         libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7d8f000)
         libssl.so.0 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libssl.so.0 (0xb7d4e000)
         libcrypto.so.0 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libcrypto.so.0 (0xb7c10000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7ace000)
         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)
         libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7aca000)

(see next paragraph)

> See the apr-util changes http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/CHANGES-APR-UTIL-1.3
> If you want a static link you can use --disable-util-dso

Ah this is the culprit, ldd on httpd now confirms mysql support :)
I (like most admins I think) only concerned myself with the Apache 'changes'
file, which mentions nothing of this, I never went looking for other included
changelogs, perhaps this should be mentioned in the changes/README.mysql
file, as others will in time no doubt hit the same traps I did as 2.2.8
was rather straight forward and simple,  2.2.9 gives the appearance its
broken but is not when you have the extra information, was there any
operational reason why it was changed to this?

Incidently this has also cured my segfault on httpd -k stop

Thanks Tom, much appreciated for your assistance.

Posted by Tom Donovan <do...@bellatlantic.net>.
Res wrote:
> Folks,
>
> When we sorted out the licence issues with mysql inclusion in 2.2.8 a
> very simple configure of adding --with-mysql  became a dream, now this
> and an important option for this system, the --with-devrandom  option,
> have both dissapeared and configure puts up warnings all over the place...

Do you mean "configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --with-devrandom, --with-mysql" ?

This appears to be a new warning with autoconf 2.62, but the options still work correctly.
You can add --disable-option-checking to suppress these warnings.

urandom is now the default, see http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/CHANGES-APR-1.3
The --with-devrandom option still works however.
You can double-check the selected device with:

[users@httpd] Re: 2.2.9 missing options, no sql

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
Further, when it does run, it segfaults on httpd -k stop