Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/18 02:14:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release 5.3.3

I've created and uploaded a release of Tapestry 5.3.3, ready to be
voted upon.

The source, binary, and javadoc downloads are uploaded to:

http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-releases/

and the Maven artifacts staged to:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetapestry-066/

Please examine these files to determine if the new release, 5.3.3, is
ready.

I've also created a 5.3.3 tag in Subversion:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tapestry/tapestry5/tags/5.3.3/

Vote will run for three days; On a successful vote, I'll release the
Maven artifacts, and move the binary, source, and javadoc
distributions from these directories to the proper distribution
directories and update the Tapestry site documentation, and send out
appropriate notifications.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Taha Hafeez Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
Taha Hafeez: +1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Igor Drobiazko: +1 (binding)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've created and uploaded a release of Tapestry 5.3.3, ready to be
> voted upon.
>
> The source, binary, and javadoc downloads are uploaded to:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-releases/
>
> and the Maven artifacts staged to:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetapestry-066/
>
> Please examine these files to determine if the new release, 5.3.3, is
> ready.
>
> I've also created a 5.3.3 tag in Subversion:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tapestry/tapestry5/tags/5.3.3/
>
> Vote will run for three days; On a successful vote, I'll release the
> Maven artifacts, and move the binary, source, and javadoc
> distributions from these directories to the proper distribution
> directories and update the Tapestry site documentation, and send out
> appropriate notifications.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry

> (971) 678-5210
> http://howardlewisship.com

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de
http://twitter.com/drobiazko

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
Geoff Callender: 0 (non-binding)

I find TAP5-1911 embarrassing. If 5.3.4 is expected to fix it in a couple of weeks then I'd vote +1, else -1.

Re: [SUCCESS] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Mee too.

Igor Drobiazko: +1 (binding)

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:

> Actually the vote didn't pass. It needs at least 3 binding +1 votes...
>
> Sorry that I'm late:
>
> Ulrich Stärk: +1 (binding)
>
> On 24.04.2012 16:40, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > I'll start updating the site and doing the other final changes and
> stagings.
> >
> > Binding votes:
> >
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship: +1
> > Thiago H. de Paula Figueredo: +1
> >
> > Non-binding votes:
> >
> > Kalle Korhonen: +1
> > Dmitry Gusev: -1
> > Massimo Lusetti: +1
> > François Facon: +1
> > Emmanuel Demey: +1
> > Denis Stepanov: -1
> > Taha Hafeez: +1
> > Geoff Callender: 0
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Igor Drobiazko
> > <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Dmitry,
> >>
> >> I just applied your patch and recalled one more reason why I didn't
> apply
> >> it when I looked at it the first time. The way the provider is loaded is
> >> should be improved. I'll update your patch and commit the fix soon.
> Anyway
> >> thank you for the patch.

> igor.drobiazko@gmail.com
> list,

> the

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310833&version=12320045

> >> --
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Igor Drobiazko
> >> http://tapestry5.de
> >> http://twitter.com/drobiazko

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de
http://twitter.com/drobiazko

Re: [SUCCESS] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

[SUCCESS] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'll start updating the site and doing the other final changes and stagings.

Binding votes:

Howard M. Lewis Ship: +1
Thiago H. de Paula Figueredo: +1
Ulrich Stärk: +1
Igor Drobiazko: +1

Non-binding votes:

Kalle Korhonen: +1
Dmitry Gusev: -1
Massimo Lusetti: +1
François Facon: +1
Emmanuel Demey: +1
Denis Stepanov: -1
Taha Hafeez: +1
Geoff Callender: 0

P.S. Should be pretty evident my skills are in coding, not anything
bureaucratic. I've never filled out a single form document correctly
in my life.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

[SUCCESS] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Dmitry,

--
Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de
http://twitter.com/drobiazko

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Forget to mention, the patch is against the trunk.
But I guess it should be easy to back port it to 5.3.2.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Igor,

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Bug fixing priorities

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I hate to say that someone isn't squawking loud enough for us to fix the bug. I suspect our procedures for prioritizing bugs is a bit primitive; there are likely features of jira we could use better. I'm afraid I tend to mostly fix the bugs that directly affect me ... or, as you point out, the bugs that come more complete, with tests, and as a patch.

Sent from my iPad

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de
http://twitter.com/drobiazko

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:12:23 -0300, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Also, nothing prevents us from having a 5.3.4 as well .... I was quite
> happy to let 5.3.3 accumulate more fixes until the bytecode bug
> percolated up.

Talking about bytecode, what about copying the annotations from service
implementation methods to their corresponding methods in proxies? T5.2 had
that. Without it, people end up putting annotations in interfaces, which I
think is quite ugly in OOP terms.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> Just a bit of clarification here: Procedural votes like releases can't be vetoed. It's up to the
> release manager to decide.
>
> Uli
>
> On 18.04.2012 08:19, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
>> Dmitry, I feel your pain but this doesn't seem to be a 5.3.3 specific
>> issue. You really want to block 5.3.3 release because of this? It's
>> logged against 5.3.2 but it's not a regression, rather it affects the
>> core jpa implementation as a whole, right? I should have reacted to
>> it, my apologies. In the future, the way to get the issue dear to you
>> resolved is to make even more noise on the list.
>>
>> Kalle
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dmitry Gusev: -1 (non-binding)
>>>
>>> I'd like to see this issue resolved in 5.3.3:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1848
>>>
>>> This is a blocker for deploying Tap5 applications to GAE.
>>>
>>> I've submitted a patch two months ago and I don't understand why its not
>>> resolved yet.
>>> I know Igor implemented JPA support in Tap5, and he knows about the issue
>>> and the patch, and looks like he doesn't care.
>>> This makes me very disappointed.

>>> --
>>> Dmitry Gusev
>>>
>>> AnjLab Team
>>> http://anjlab.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Denis Stepanov <de...@gmail.com>.
-1

Javascript onException call missing exception argument, almost impossible to track what when wrong:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1873

Denis

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Kalle, thanks for your reply.

As I understood from Howard's report and release notes -- 5.3.3 is a bug
fix release, and what I suggested is just a small bugfix. I don't know if
there will be more bug fix releases in version 5.3, so I think this is the
best time to implement the fix.

I'm still remember the pain I have during upgrade to 5.3 and I just want
one issue less during upgrade to 5.4.

Anyway, my vote is non-binding, so it won't block the release somehow and
it doesn't mean anything more that a "noise on the list".

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:19, Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Dmitry, I feel your pain but this doesn't seem to be a 5.3.3 specific
> issue. You really want to block 5.3.3 release because of this? It's
> logged against 5.3.2 but it's not a regression, rather it affects the
> core jpa implementation as a whole, right? I should have reacted to
> it, my apologies. In the future, the way to get the issue dear to you
> resolved is to make even more noise on the list.
>
> Kalle
>

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Dmitry Gusev: -1 (non-binding)
> >
> > I'd like to see this issue resolved in 5.3.3:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1848
> >
> > This is a blocker for deploying Tap5 applications to GAE.
> >
> > I've submitted a patch two months ago and I don't understand why its not
> > resolved yet.
> > I know Igor implemented JPA support in Tap5, and he knows about the issue
> > and the patch, and looks like he doesn't care.
> > This makes me very disappointed.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:24, Kalle Korhonen <
> kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> +1 Kalle Korhonen (non-binding)
> >>
> >> We should also link to the release notes, 5.3.3 at
> >>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310833&version=12320045
> >>
> >> My vote's tentative so far, I just run 5.3.3 against two of my current
> >> projects so far without problems, will run more tests and change if
> >> anything comes up.
> >>
> >> Kalle

> developer,
> >> and

> > --
> > Dmitry Gusev
> >
> > AnjLab Team
> > http://anjlab.com

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 5.3.3

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Dmitry Gusev: -1 (non-binding)

I'd like to see this issue resolved in 5.3.3:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1848

This is a blocker for deploying Tap5 applications to GAE.

I've submitted a patch two months ago and I don't understand why its not
resolved yet.
I know Igor implemented JPA support in Tap5, and he knows about the issue
and the patch, and looks like he doesn't care.
This makes me very disappointed.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 09:24, Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 Kalle Korhonen (non-binding)
>
> We should also link to the release notes, 5.3.3 at
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310833&version=12320045
>
> My vote's tentative so far, I just run 5.3.3 against two of my current
> projects so far without problems, will run more tests and change if
> anything comes up.
>
> Kalle
>

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thiago H. de Paula Figueredo: +1 (binding)
> >
> > --
> > Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> > Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
> and
> > instructor
> > Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.
> > http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com