Posted to notifications@pekko.apache.org by "pjfanning (via GitHub)" <gi...@apache.org> on 2024/03/08 15:18:05 UTC

Re: [D] Pekko Connectors 1.1.x dependency upgrades [incubator-pekko-connectors]

GitHub user pjfanning edited a discussion: Pekko Connectors 1.1.x dependency upgrades

We were conservative with dependency upgrades in Pekko Connectors 1.0.x to make it easier for users coming from Alpakka to uptake Pekko Connectors.
The aim with Pekko Connectors 1.1.x is to use newer dependencies where feasible.

Some exceptions have come up
* Hbase testing is broken so it makes it difficult to upgrade its connector dependencies - https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-connectors/issues/61
* SQS connector doesn't work with latest AWS lib - https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-connectors/pull/441
* Latest versions of Spring only support Java 17. We still support Java 8. https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-connectors/blob/4223ac20b3eec15fd3a2020b86397c0bcf262056/.scala-steward.conf
    * I ran a test locally with the latest jars and using Java 17 and the tests pass
* ActiveMQ libs now have Java 11 minimum
* Some test libs like mockito only support Java 11 in their latest releases
* Latest protobuf and related grpc releases cause us issues - https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-connectors/pull/277 and others
    * I've tested locally and using pekko-grpc 1.1 snapshots - which have newer protobuf dependencies - means that you can upgrade some of the protobuf linked jars - i.e. pekko-grpc 1.0 compatibility is preventing us from upgrading some protobuf linked jars, like google-cloud-pubsub
* couchbase client v3 causes us compile problems - https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-connectors/pull/400
* latest kudu jars seem to be restructured in a way that breaks our build
* solr 9 causes us compile issues - https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-connectors/pull/379
* hoverfly upgrade issues
* we have started using slf4jv2 in pekko and pekko http 1.1 but some changes need to be made in pekko connectors to support it

GitHub link: https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko-connectors/discussions/443

----
This is an automatically sent email for notifications@pekko.apache.org.