Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Doug Poulin <do...@prostyle.com> on 2004/03/23 08:34:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 and PHP 4.3.4 hangs intermittently

We recently upgraded Apache to 2.0.48 so that we could start using php with
it.  Before that it worked flawlessly.  Now from time to time (every couple
of days), Apache stops working.  All of the processes are there, but it
stops serving web pages.  There are no error messages in the logs.  We're
running RedHat Linux 2.2.13

Has anyone else experienced this problem, has any ideas what to do next or
knows how to fix it?

Doug

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 and PHP 4.3.4 hangs intermittently

Posted by Antonin Karasek <li...@ceskyserver.cz>.
Try to send your binaries and the core file to php and Apache bug-report.

The core file without binaries is useless...

It's hard to guess, if it is caused by php or Apache (but I think, that
php is much more probable).

If you don't have the core file, try to at least explain your problem.

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Doug Poulin wrote:
> Any idea what causes this?

Get a backtrace either by find the core file or attaching gdb to it.

There are a lot of moving parts here.  It could be almost anything.

-Rasmus

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 and PHP 4.3.4 hangs intermittently

Posted by Doug Poulin <do...@prostyle.com>.
Ok, I found something.  Maybe this will help.  We only use https so I didn't
think to look in the non secure log file.  I found a number of entries like
this in the error log.

[Sun Mar 21 05:00:41 2004] [notice] child pid 3148 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Sun Mar 21 05:00:41 2004] [notice] child pid 3147 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Sun Mar 21 05:00:41 2004] [notice] child pid 3099 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Sun Mar 21 05:00:42 2004] [notice] child pid 3203 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Sun Mar 21 05:00:42 2004] [notice] child pid 3202 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Sun Mar 21 05:00:42 2004] [notice] child pid 3201 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Sun Mar 21 05:00:42 2004] [notice] child pid 3199 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Sun Mar 21 05:00:42 2004] [notice] child pid 3198 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)

Any idea what causes this?

Also when I restart Apache I get this message which should help you with
versions that are running on this machine.

[Mon Mar 22 23:08:15 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.48 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.48
OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP
/4.3.4 configured -- resuming normal operations

Doug

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@apache.org>.

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 and PHP 4.3.4 hangs intermittently

Posted by Outbound <ou...@centrum.cz>.
Hi,

what do you  have to do after it crashes ? Does it help to simply
start "apachectl start" or do you have to do something else
additionally ?

Regards,

Roman

Posted by Antonin Karasek <li...@ceskyserver.cz>.