Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Amato Massimiliano (UBM)" <Ma...@ubm.unicredit.it> on 2004/07/12 11:33:17 UTC

Snapshot Repository

Hello,

We are in the process of setting up a remote repository for our group and we have a problem, we want to allow developers to upload snapshot release to the central repository but we want not to allow them to upload final release. This is due to the fact that we have a central configuration for maven and it could happen that a developer could ovverride by mistake a release with a wrong one.

Basically we would like to have 2 separate directories, one for the final release where only the administrator can write and another one public where all the developers can upload their snapshot. I don't think this is supported right now in Maven but i'd like to know if anyone had ever thought about it since i think it could be a common problem. Any idea if this will be implemented in the future releases?

Also since we need to make it work any suggestion on how we could do it? We were thinking about rewriting the artifact plugin in order to change the directory if the version is a snapshot

Thanks for your help
Max

Re: Snapshot Repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Both of Paul's suggestions are good. I think (1) gives you a better
level of control though:
- they might end up on different machines.
- you can clean out snapshot builds and keep releases (not really a
good idea but some like to do it)
- much tighter access controls

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Snapshot Repository

Posted by Tim Shadel <ti...@gmail.com>.
We looked at the same problem, but decided on an entirely different
solution.  We don't have developers upload their snapshots to the
central repository.  We setup CruiseControl to run an hourly build of
each project (if changes happened) on the same machine as the central
Maven repository.  The central build runs 'maven jar:install-snapshot'
and then all developers use either the snapshot from their machine (if
it's more recent), or the central snapshot.  At most, developers wait
an hour for a new snapshot.  If we need it more quickly, we force a
build through CC's web JMX interface, and the snapshot's available
immediately.  That way developers never upload to the central server,
and when a release comes arouns then an admin can do that.

--Tim

Re: Snapshot Repository

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mindspring.com>.
I can think of two solutions: