Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Christopher Wirt <ch...@struq.com> on 2013/07/10 19:27:10 UTC

JMX Latency stats

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the JMX latency stats
and could enlighten me.

We've been looking the column family specific stats and see really lovely <
3ms 99th percentile stats for all our families.

org.apache.cassandra.metrics:type=ColumnFamily,keyspace=mykeyspace,scope=myc
olumnfamily,name=ReadLatency

Now, when we look at the overall client request read latency stats we see a
far more inconsistent jagged 99th percentile flying between 5ms - 80ms

org.apache.cassandra.metrics:type=ClientRequest,scope=Read,name=Latency

Thanks

Chris

Re: JMX Latency stats

Posted by Nick Bailey <ni...@datastax.com>.
The column family specific numbers are reporting latencies local to the
node. So a write/read that has reached the correct replica and just needs
to hit memory/disk.

The non column family specific numbers are reporting latencies from the
coordinator. So the latency from the time the coordinator receives a
write/read request, contacts the right replica(s), receives an internal
response and responds to the client.