Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Robert Schmidtke <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/13 17:03:08 UTC

Flink performance pre-packaged vs. self-compiled

Hi everyone,

I'm using Flink 0.10.2 for some benchmarks and had to add some small
changes to Flink, which led me to compiling and running it myself. This is
when I noticed a performance difference in the pre-packaged Flink version
that I downloaded from the web (
http://archive.apache.org/dist/flink/flink-0.10.2/flink-0.10.2-bin-hadoop27.tgz)
versus the form of the release-0.10 branch I built myself (mvn
-Dhadoop.version=2.7.1 -Dscala-2.11 -DskipTests -Drat.skip=true clean
install // mvn version 3.0.4).

I ran some version of TeraSort (https://github.com/eastcirclek/terasort)
and I noticed that the pre-packaged version of Flink performs 10-20% better
than the one I built myself (the only tweaks I mead are in the CliFrontend
after the Job has finished running, so I would rule out bad programming on
my side).

Has anyone come across this before? Or could you provide me with clearer
build instructions in order to reproduce the downloadable archive as
closely as possible? Thanks in advance!

Robert

--
My GPG Key ID: 336E2680

Re: Flink performance pre-packaged vs. self-compiled

Posted by Robert Schmidtke <ro...@gmail.com>.
You're obviously right, the configs were different. In the downloaded
version I had set off heap memory to true, whereas in the version I
compiled myself this one-time change to flink-conf.yaml was overwritten by
recompiling. I have fixed it now and performance is the same.

For the record, I had 30 GiB of TeraGen'd data:

-m yarn-cluster \
  -yn 10 \
  -ys 4 \
  -p 40 \
  -yjm 3072 \
  -ytm 4096

Each of the nodes has 64 GiB of RAM, job ran in 27s, repeatedly.

Thanks and sorry for not having checked the obvious ...

Robert

Posted by Ovidiu-Cristian MARCU <ov...@inria.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Schmidtke <ro...@gmail.com>.