Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/15 17:00:32 UTC

[PROPOSAL]: throw away the 'forrest' web site in favor of exporting the confluence site

We've got 1.5 web sites here.

There's

http://ws.apache.org

which is very stale, and 'maintained' using Apache Forrest, which
isn't, well, maintained, and has no release that works with Java 1.6.

Then we've got:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WS/Index

which is more up to date, but needs to be exported (in place of the
above) to be useful.

I'll give this idea a day or two for discussion, and, barring giant
problems, put it to a vote.

Re: [PROPOSAL]: throw away the 'forrest' web site in favor of exporting the confluence site

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Confluence .

Ideally pages like this [1] should be updated with noticeable events
of sub projects and I also believe it's  much more easy to maintains
Confluence than Forrest.

[1] - http://ws.apache.org/news.html

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: [PROPOSAL]: throw away the 'forrest' web site in favor of exporting the confluence site

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Nadir,

There is also a user who would like to submit updates for the
Axis1/Java site (which as you pointed out is intertwined with
Axis/C++) and who is struggling with the Forrest stuff [1]. Maybe you
can join that discussion to see what can be done for the old Axis1
site.

Andreas

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/w335pq7dgoyeq3bz

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nadir,

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Nadir,

Posted by Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>.
Benson,

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 for Confluence.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Everyone seems to like this. I see no reason for a formal vote.

If people would be so kind to update or create confluence content,
when we have a critical mass I can organize the switcheroo.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday 15 October 2010 3:25:37 pm Andreas Veithen wrote:
> +1 for Confluence.
>
> I know more or less how the Confluence auto-export stuff works, but
> there are two technical questions that are not clear to me:
>
> 1. Where and how are the export templates maintained?

This is the big negative.   You need admin access to confluence to edit those.
However, admin access is generally given out like candy if needed for this
purpose.   There is an AutoExport tab on the Admin page where the capability
to edit the template and re-export the entire space it found.

> 2. How is the exported content (https://cwiki.apache.org/WS) going to
> be published to http://ws.apache.org and how will we manage the fact
> that some subprojects continue to use generated (Maven) sites?

Every hour, the confluence stuff is rsynced over to people.apache.org:
/www/confluence-exports.   Thus, what is needed is for someone to create a
crontab that each hour, rsyncs stuff from there over to the /www/ws.apache.org
directory.

The maven projects just dump stuff there as well.  Thus, as long as the rsync
doesn't delete anything it shouldn't, all is well.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL]: throw away the 'forrest' web site in favor of exporting the confluence site

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Confluence.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.