Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca> on 2017/03/21 02:32:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Unable to start apache-2.4.25; missing ssl module

I hate to re-ask a question that I have asked before (in 2012) but I have a
new version of Apache and the same problem again.

I compiled Apache-2.4.25 from source, and also openssl-1.0.2k.  In the
Apache configuration I included  "--with-ssl=/usr/openssl-1.0.2k" but now
when I try to start apache using apachectl -k start I get the following
error:

--------------------
httpd: Syntax error on line 135 of /usr/apache-2.4.25/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load modules/mod_ssl.so into server: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot open
---------------------

Without SSL there isn't a problem; Apache starts just fine.

OK, so I'm cool, I look up the archive from the last time this happened and
it says to provide the path to the library in the Apache envvars file so I
did that.  There are two envvars files, envvars-std and envvars so I updatd
them both.  No luck.

So, I decided to provide the path directly and I set up these two links in
the apache/lib directory:

lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root      33 Mar 20 22:09 libssl.so ->
						 /usr/openssl-1.0.2k/lib/libssl.so
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root      39 Mar 20 22:11 libssl.so.1.0.0 ->
						 /usr/openssl-1.0.2k/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0

Still no luck.  Both of the linked files are present.

OS is Fedora 25 with SELinux running in permissive mode.

Can anyone see what I missed?

Regards,

John

Re: [users@httpd] Unable to start apache-2.4.25; missing ssl module

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.
On Wednesday 22 March 2017 08:25:18 Rainer Canavan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 3:29 AM, John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca> wrote:
> > Just in case anyone is thinking about this, I managed to resolve it,
> > more by luck than by any plan.
> >
> > Basically, I just added links in the httpd/lib directory to everything
> > that it claimed it couldn't find.  Some are actually links to links.
>
> Links to links are perfectly fine. Alternatives to your solution would
> be setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/openssl-1.0.2k/lib in the environment
> or re-building apache with suitable LDFLAGS,  e.g. on linux
> -Wl,-rpath, /usr/openssl-1.0.2k/lib. Check the man pages for ld and
> ld.so (or however the dynamic linker on your platform may be called).
>
> rainer

Thanks Rainer.

Posted by Rainer Canavan <ra...@sevenval.com>.

Posted by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca>.