Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@apache.org> on 2009/05/05 13:53:51 UTC

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Axis2 1.5 release looks like it could start being voted on this week
> but that often can take some time and then the JMS transport would be
> released separately after that and then we'd need some time to polish a
> Tuscany release including those. So all that would likley take some weeks.
> There are alternatives like trying to port the new JMS transport to our
> existing ws binding, but thats likely a bit more work.

If we're to get a 1.5 release out this month I'm starting to think we
should go with porting the new Axis2 JMS transport to work with the
existing Tuscany WS binding.

Axis2 still haven't had their release and after that does happen there
would need to be a follow on release of the transports and all that
will have to take at lease a couple of weeks and then we'd need to
pick it up in Tuscany before doing the Tuscany 1.5 release...so all
that would likely push the Tuscany release in to June.

So unless anyone can see any issues with the approach I'm going to
start looking at bringing the new Axis2 JMS transport into the Tuscany
WS binding. At least that will help us know how hard it is to do and
we can throw it all away if the Axis2 releases do start to happen more
quickly.

   ...ant

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
> ant elder wrote:

>>> Here it is.
>>>
>>>  Simon
>>>
>>> (cut)
>>>

>> That looks like the openejb problem in TUSCANY-2935. To avoid it I've
>> now taken the contribution-jee itest out of the build in the 1.5
>> branch (r775583) .
>>
>>   ...ant
>>
> Thanks.  I am getting a bit further now.  The next failure is in
> itest/exceptions which looks like the problem that others have reported.
>
>  Simon

I created a table for us to track sample tests [1]. Just copied 1.4
and reset the ticks. The modules list is as we left if from 1.4

Simon

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Release+-+Java+SCA+1.5

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ant elder wrote:

>>> Done in r775437 we have a new 1.5 release branch -
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/branches/sca-java-1.5/ .Thats
>>> building cleanly for me though there do still exist a couple of
>>> intermittent failures. To help with getting 1.5 out smoothly how about
>>> no code changes other than sample and test fixes without first
>>> discussing on the ML? I'll try to get an RC1 out by first thing next
>>> week.
>>>
>>>   ...ant
>>>

>> I tried building this and I am getting the same failure in
>> itest/contribution-jee.
>>
>>  Simon
>>

> Could you paste in the error here?
>
>    ...ant

Here it is.

   Simon

[INFO] Building Apache Tuscany SCA iTest Contribution Java EE
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] Compiling 1 source file to F:\tuscany85\sca-java-1.5\itest\contribution-j
ee\target\classes
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] Compiling 4 source files to F:\tuscany85\sca-java-1.5\itest\contribution-
jee\target\test-classes
[INFO] [surefire:test]
[INFO] Surefire report directory: F:\tuscany85\sca-java-1.5\itest\contribution-j
ee\target\surefire-reports

  T E S T S
Running org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.contribution.jee.SCAJarEarNonenhancedTestCas
INFO - Extracting jar: C:\Users\nash\AppData\Local\Temp\temp52168.ear
INFO - Extracted path: C:\Users\nash\AppData\Local\Temp\temp52168
INFO - Extracting jar: C:\Users\nash\AppData\Local\Temp\temp52168\itest-contribu
tion-jee-samples-1-war-nonenhanced.war
INFO - Extracted path: C:\Users\nash\AppData\Local\Temp\temp52168\itest-contribu
[...]
         at org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.contribution.jee.SCAJarEarNonenhancedTest
Case.testSCAJarEarNonenhanced(SCAJarEarNonenhancedTestCase.java:116)
java:39)
         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
[...]
Caused by: org.apache.tuscany.sca.contribution.service.ContributionException: ja
[...]

         at org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.contribution.jee.WARAppcompContribImplici
[...]

INFO - Extracted path: C:\Users\nash\AppData\Local\Temp\temp52175\itest-contribu
[...]
         at org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.contribution.jee.SCAJarEarAppcompTestCase
[...]

INFO - Extracted path: C:\Users\nash\AppData\Local\Temp\temp52185\helloworld-web

[...]

         at org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.contribution.jee.ContributionServiceTestC

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:02 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>> I think it is. But maybe what we could do is run though the tests,
>>> legal etc in 1.x before cutting the branch to give a day or so more
>>> for responses. I intend to give the samples a runt through as soon as
>>> I can get done with some 2.x things I'm working on.
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>> Ok good, we're starting to run out of time to get this out this month
>> so unless anyone objects i'll cut a release branch tomorrow. If you
>> must commit to 1.x before this is done then please be a little
>> careful, verify relevant samples and test, and run a full build etc.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Done in r775437 we have a new 1.5 release branch -
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/branches/sca-java-1.5/ .Thats
> building cleanly for me though there do still exist a couple of
> intermittent failures. To help with getting 1.5 out smoothly how about
> no code changes other than sample and test fixes without first
> discussing on the ML? I'll try to get an RC1 out by first thing next
> week.
>
>   ...ant

Thanks Ant.

I'm guessing a bit but this exception funny seems to be something to
do with whether pass by value handling is included or not. The remote
exception test fails when the returned exception is physically the
same instance as the original exception that was thrown. Suggests that
it's not being copied as it should be on some runs. I'm sure we've
seen this before recently but don't remember the exact cause. Anyhow
that's as far as I've got.

Simon

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 8:30 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> and I didn't see itest/contribution-jee causing problems. Although
>> itest/exceptions did fail which I'm sure I didn't have problems with
>> last time I built and which didn't fail when run directly.  I wonder
>> if we're chasing one of these activator problems.
>>

> It is - TUSCANY-3030
>
>   ...ant

Just to confirm just done a full build and it failed on
itest/exceptions and itest/jms-format. I did change jms-format
yesterday (so will double check it later) but they both run in
isolation.

Simon

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
> ant elder wrote:

>>> Just investigating this JMS funny from the list. I'll jump in when I'm
>>> done.
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>> Ok i'm looking at the exceptions itest then.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> I tried to build this (interested in the simple-callback-ws failure)
> and I got a different failure, in itest/contribution-jee.
>
>  Simon

What revision was that from? I'm on the latest as far as I can tell

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Simon Nash wrote:
> ant elder wrote:

>>> Just investigating this JMS funny from the list. I'll jump in when
>>> I'm done.
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>> Ok i'm looking at the exceptions itest then.
>>
>>    ...ant
>>

> I tried to build this (interested in the simple-callback-ws failure)
> and I got a different failure, in itest/contribution-jee.
>
>   Simon

All the samples (including simple-callback-ws) built OK for me.  The itest
failure that I saw occurred later in the build.

   Simon

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried Axis2 1.5 RC1 one or two weeks ago and have a patch for the 2.x
> stream. The changes should be mostly applicable for 1.x. Maybe you can open
> a JIRA for the effort and I will attach the patch.

The suggestion is to *not* move to Axis2 1.5 for the Tuscany 1.5
release but instead to port the JMS transport back to work with Axis2
1.4.1.

   ...ant

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
I tried Axis2 1.5 RC1 one or two weeks ago and have a patch for the 2.x
stream. The changes should be mostly applicable for 1.x. Maybe you can open
a JIRA for the effort and I will attach the patch.

Thanks,
Raymond

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:53 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> The Axis2 1.5 release looks like it could start being voted on this week
>>> but that often can take some time and then the JMS transport would be
>>> released separately after that and then we'd need some time to polish a
>>> Tuscany release including those. So all that would likley take some weeks.
>>> There are alternatives like trying to port the new JMS transport to our
>>> existing ws binding, but thats likely a bit more work.
>>>

>> If we're to get a 1.5 release out this month I'm starting to think we
>> should go with porting the new Axis2 JMS transport to work with the
>> existing Tuscany WS binding.
>>
>> Axis2 still haven't had their release and after that does happen there
>> would need to be a follow on release of the transports and all that
>> will have to take at lease a couple of weeks and then we'd need to
>> pick it up in Tuscany before doing the Tuscany 1.5 release...so all
>> that would likely push the Tuscany release in to June.
>>
>> So unless anyone can see any issues with the approach I'm going to
>> start looking at bringing the new Axis2 JMS transport into the Tuscany
>> WS binding. At least that will help us know how hard it is to do and
>> we can throw it all away if the Axis2 releases do start to happen more
>> quickly.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Sounds like the right thing to do given where we are. We also have
> this WSDL issue that Dave raised that I was going to look at. Is it
> safe to assume that we wait until these are done before retaking the
> branch?
>
> Simon

Sounds ok to me to wait for these before retaking the release branch.

   ...ant

Re: [1.x] How about releasing 1.5 ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.