Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/11/28 12:46:59 UTC

Split INSTALL -> INSTALL.Unix and INSTALL.Windows ?

Re: Split INSTALL -> INSTALL.Unix and INSTALL.Windows ?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 10/16/06, Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> wrote:

> > > Please no, keep it as eg. INSTALL.windows.txt, then it will be just next
> > > to INSTALL on file listings.
> >
> > The ".txt" file extension is a good call, but we should probably put
> > only one dot in the windows file name (e.g. "INSTALL-windows.txt").
> > --
> >
> It seems this good idea was die in names discussion of these files.
> So, is there anybody object against:
> INSTALL
> INSTALL-windows.txt ?

/me paints the bikeshed "INSTALL-Win32.txt"

-garrett

Re: Split INSTALL -> INSTALL.Unix and INSTALL.Windows ?

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Branko Čibej wrote:
>

>> Daniel Rall wrote:

>>> The ".txt" file extension is a good call, but we should probably put
>>> only one dot in the windows file name (e.g. "INSTALL-windows.txt").
>>>

>> What for?
>>

> I was thinking it would look slightly less nasty in the old
> pre-Windows 2k DOS shells, but the file name length is still going to
> result in the continuation text "~1" being added to the file name...

Those old DOS shells will use whatever follows the /last/ dot as the
file extension. So, INSTALL.Windows.txt will show up as, e.g.,
INSTAL~13.txt, which is fine.

Not that I'd worry too much about those shells. We don't worry about the
original Unix FS 14-character file name limit, do we? :)

-- Brane

Re: Split INSTALL -> INSTALL.Unix and INSTALL.Windows ?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2005-11-28 13:38+0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Perhaps we could keep the Unix/Linux instructions in 'INSTALL', and move
> the Windows build instructions to a more Windows-like name, for example
> 'Windows-Build.txt'.

Please no, keep it as eg. INSTALL.windows.txt, then it will be just next
to INSTALL on file listings.

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: Split INSTALL -> INSTALL.Unix and INSTALL.Windows ?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Re: Split INSTALL -> INSTALL.Unix and INSTALL.Windows ?

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:

> The INSTALL file is currently extremely large, and intermingles Unix and
> Windows instructions in a way which is not ideal, either for the users
> reading it, or for the people trying to maintain the document.
>
> Anyone have any objections to me splitting the INSTALL file into two
> separate documents?

One comment on this proposal - it would probably make sense to
separate the Windows instructions into a separate file, but leave
the UNIX/Linux instructions in "INSTALL".  Similarly, you can add
Novell, AS/400, etc. variations as needed, but the main file shows
the common stuff with pointers to the others as needed.

This is done with many other projects with good results...

Re: Split INSTALL -> INSTALL.Unix and INSTALL.Windows ?

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/05, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:

> The INSTALL file is currently extremely large, and intermingles Unix and
> Windows instructions in a way which is not ideal, either for the users
> reading it, or for the people trying to maintain the document.
>
> Anyone have any objections to me splitting the INSTALL file into two
> separate documents?
+1 on idea, but I am not sure about proposed names.

--
Ivan Zhakov