Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Michelle Tan <ph...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/09 13:10:39 UTC

Newbie

Hi Zookeeper devs,

Newbie here. Name is Michelle.
I am new to open source and Zookeeper, particularly interested to work on
the documentation area, as there's a few missing sections.

I am more proficient in C++ than Java, worked with Zookeeper a bit at my
workplace.
I'd hope to contribute to the docs as I remember struggling to understand
the C bindings but found more information in Java than C.

Can I start with writing a simple C++ client example using the
multi-threaded library on "How to connect to Zookeeper" ? I can send in a
PR against in Github against : https://issues.apache.org/
jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-169

Please provide some guidance. :)

Regards,
Michelle.

Re: Newbie

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Michelle,

It's great that you are interested in working on the documentation area.
There are tons of improvements could be made on documentation, and
ZOOKEEPER-169
is a good start.

The documentation source is located here
<https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/tree/master/src/docs/src/documentation/content/xdocs>,
and currently we are using Apache Forrest <https://forrest.apache.org/> to
generate the document artifacts (html, pdf). For a pull request on doc
change, you only need to modify the documentation source, and we will
generate the doc artifacts for each release. For this specific change on
ZOOKEEPER-169 it probably should go into ZooKeeperProgrammers
<https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/blob/master/src/docs/src/documentation/content/xdocs/zookeeperProgrammers.xml>.
You can find guidelines on creating pull request here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToContribute>.

--
Cheers
Michael.