Posted to user@hivemind.apache.org by Joel Trunick <jo...@webifysolutions.com> on 2005/03/30 23:03:42 UTC

Understanding Hivemind (was: Using Hivemind with cayenne datacontext)

I'm competent using Spring, but thought I see what Hivemind offers. It
looks like Hivemind makes a clearer distinction between configuration
data and service wiring than does Spring and so is cleaner in that
regard. (Is this a true statement?)

I would of already given up on Hivemind except for the planned Tapestry
usage of Hivemind. I just haven't found I grok Hivemind.

It seems like quintessential cases of wiring in JavaMail or database
connections (like the previous Cayenne post) should be obvious after
looking at the documentation or examples, but I have little confidence I
could do it after perusing the Hivemind site.

I'm not sure if Spring is clouding my understanding of Hivemind, as JSP
does for Tapestry, but I'd appreciate any more pointers toward getting
started with Hivemind.

Re: Understanding Hivemind (was: Using Hivemind with cayenne datacontext)

Posted by Marcus Brito <mb...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:03:42 -0600, Joel Trunick
<jo...@webifysolutions.com> wrote:
> It seems like quintessential cases of wiring in JavaMail or database
> connections (like the previous Cayenne post) should be obvious after
> looking at the documentation or examples, but I have little confidence I
> could do it after perusing the Hivemind site.

Problem is, Hivemind is still very "bare-bones" when compared to
Spring. Right now, hivemind only offers the basic services assembly
and configuration. Things like integration to zillions of thirdy party
frameworks aren't covered (yet), and that's exactly where spring
shines.

In other words: you're not alone, and don't feel guilty for not
groking Hivemind. Right now, hivemind is on a slightly better
situation than you would be if you were only using the
"org.springframework.beans" package. Hopefully, integration with
popular frameworks will happen sometime not far from now, and then all
hivemind users will be able to easily harvest this functionality.

That being said... yeah, Hivemind documentation is a bit lacking. I
was actually thinking about writing a book (and not necessarily
publish it) as a way to fully understand hivemind. 24 hours is such a
short day, however...

-- Marcus Brito <mb...@gmail.com>