Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/04/24 16:29:31 UTC

[doc] Compatibility guidelines

I've tried to capture in a webpage the compatibility guidelines that we
have agreed over the last few weeks.

The page is here:
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.html

I'm sure I'll have forgotten something, so additions / corrections /
etc. are welcome.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [doc] Compatibility guidelines

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Geir agreed to 1-5 guidline in "Do we want to be bug compatible?"  thread.
Probably doc does not exactly match them. Let's ask Geir

Thanks,
Mikhail

Posted by Anton Avtamonov <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Anton,

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> What I'm trying to convey is:
>
> 1) We should be doing spec-driven development, not development based on
> probing the behavior of any particular implementation of the spec  (even
> the RI).
>
> I believe this is in best keeping with the spirit of Sun's intent for
> independent implementations of Java.

Absolutely! However, I don't think Sun even does this in pure form -
they have persisted bugs version after version because they didn't want
to break customers.

> 2) Since we know from experience that the spec leaves many questions
> unanswered, we should use the RI of the spec to resolve those questions
> using the public published interfaces to the RI.  Typically this will
> mean running a test, written to public APIs, and observing the result.
>
> 3) Compatibility with existing implementations is very important to us,
> therefore we will run our tests written based on the spec against both
> our implementation and the RI (and possibly other implementations) to
> ensure we behave in the established way.

So far so good.

> Where there are anomalies or inconsistencies in the way the spec
> describes how things should work, how they work in the RI, or how they
> work in accepted implementations, then we discuss, decide, and document
> the chosen solution for Harmony.

Absolutely.

We're in harmonious agreement.

geir

Re: [doc] Compatibility guidelines

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
IMHO discuss on the mailing list is always a good option, I just
wouldn't expect any discussion around items that work in the RI the way
they are described in the spec :-) we just do those!

Where there is some discrepancy or question, I see no problem with
people giving a heads up to their decisions (and noting such in
documentation):

To pick a random example:

"I read the spec and it says that java.nio.Buffer#clear() always
discards the mark, but my tests on the RI show it doesn't.  Makes sense
to me that it should discard mark, so I'm going to do that"

or

"I found that FooBarPopularApp depends on the mark being kept even
though the data is invalid! so I'm going to do that <sigh>."

or

"I don't know what makes sense here.  What do people think?"

You get the idea.  The point being that the spec should be our first
port of call, with the RI filling in the blanks, and mailing list
consensus being the arbiter of any non-trivial decisions.

However, the nature of these discrepancies is that there are no concrete
rules for when things must come to the list, we rely on the quality of
our contributors and committers to do the right thing.  Running popular
apps and ultimately the JCK is the stick that people can beat us with.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Anton Avtamonov <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
What I'm trying to convey is:

Posted by Anton Avtamonov <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Anton Avtamonov <an...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/06, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anton Avtamonov wrote:
> > Tim, that is excellent! Thank you.
> >
> > I have couple of minor questions:
> >
> > Am I right with interpretation that the primary "source" is the spec
> > rather than RI behavior? If the spec is consistent and logical, but
> > contradicts to the RI behavior we are basing on spec? I'm asking just
> > because that caused lots of debates last time and I want to make sure
> > everyone agreed with this statement now.
>
> That's what I thought we agreed.  If the guide does not make that clear
> then I am happy to clarify.

Guidelines clearly mentioned that. I could not recall if everyone was
agree or not :-).
As I remember there were lots of people who proposed to base on RI
behavior only (to be as much comatible as possible).

Personally I'm completely agree with guidelines approach.

> > Another minor comment regarding to the serialization compatibility:
> > What if serialization form is not specified and the spec states that
> > serialization form will not be compatible with future releases? Does
> > it mean we want to copy the existing serialization form? Or we are
> > going to define our own? Should it be reflected in the guidelines?
>
> I suggest that we copy the current RI form (if we can deduce it
> honestly) to get better interoperability.

+1.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Anton Avtamonov wrote:
>> Tim, that is excellent! Thank you.
>>
>> I have couple of minor questions:
>>
>> Am I right with interpretation that the primary "source" is the spec
>> rather than RI behavior? If the spec is consistent and logical, but
>> contradicts to the RI behavior we are basing on spec? I'm asking just
>> because that caused lots of debates last time and I want to make sure
>> everyone agreed with this statement now.
>
> That's what I thought we agreed.  If the guide does not make that clear
> then I am happy to clarify.

I don't recall that.  When Paulex first summarized our discussion, I
thought that we decide those on a case by case basis, as our intention
is to have SDK/JRE that works identically to that from IBM, BEA, Sun...

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anton Avtamonov <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
nice.  thanks.