Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by lu...@predoc.uam.es on 2016/10/20 06:04:53 UTC

Invitation to collaborate in usability survey

Dear Users

My name is Lucrecia Llerena Guevara. I am currently researching my PhD
titled \u201cFormalized Procedure for Adopting Usability Techniques in the
Open Source Software Development Process\u201d at the Autonomous University
of Madrid, with the support of Dennis E. Hamilton, Member of Apache
OpenOffice at The Apache Software Foundation.

As users of open source software, you will probably have noticed that
some applications are not easy, fast and accessible to use. This
research aims to provide empirical evidence to resolve many usability
issues with which the OpenOffice Writer community is unfamiliar. To be
able to do this, we need your help. We would like you to respond to a
survey in order to identify the characteristics of the possible
OpenOffice Writer user profiles.

If you would like to collaborate, please send me your e-mail address.
At the end of the survey, the responses will be analysed. The results
of this analysis will be shared with the OpenOffice developer
community to improve the OpenOffice Writer user experience. The survey
is anonymous and will take no longer than 15 minutes to complete. We
would very much appreciate it if you would take the time to complete
the survey.

Thank you very much for supporting the research that is being
developed by researchers from the Autonomous University of Madrid
(Spain) and the University of Atacama (Copiapo, Chile). For more
information, please refer to:
https://sites.google.com/site/silviateresitaacunna/Home/usability-in-oss

Here you will find the link to survey the translated into five
different languages (Spanish, English, German, French and Italian) for
your convenience:

\u25cf El enlace de la encuesta en espa�ol es el siguiente:
https://goo.gl/forms/9qcipNIEC9SUM3hd2

\u25cf The link to the survey in English is as follows:
https://goo.gl/forms/oVazStAn1mLqtkS73

\u25cf Die Umfrage-Link ist als Deutsch folgt:
https://goo.gl/forms/9YWxQcleb7SWy1cK2

\u25cf Le lien du sondage en fran�ais est la suivante:
https://goo.gl/forms/EN5oUB4HMAU7fZDh1

\u25cf Il collegamento indagine � la seguente italiano:
https://goo.gl/forms/y5YifKslJAwdFQUH3

We would very much appreciate it if you would take the time to
complete the survey. Please take the survey at your earliest
convenience so that we can continue with our research. The deadline
for completing the survey is 03 November 2016. I must report that my
mail contact is currently: <lu...@predoc.uam.es> because
the initial contact email was blocked by the provider Gmail. Thank you
very much in advance.

Regards,

Lucrecia Llerena

Re: Invitation to collaborate in usability survey

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
> On Oct 20, 2016, at 21:22, John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:
>
> just an observation, after a week wasted trying to figure
> out how to use Master Documents. The most important part of a
> program is ease of use. The reason for the difficulty was the
> parts work differently, and everyone became frustrated when I
> started questioning what appeared to be contradictions in the
> users guide, and in the advice I was being given.

I hope that you WILL participate in the survey and raise this issue.

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

Since when do we have to agree with people to defend them from injustice? - Lillian Hellman

Re: Invitation to collaborate in usability survey

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
On 10/20/2016 12:49 PM, Jim McLaughlin wrote:
> Willfully rude and insulting, John?
No, just an observation, after a week wasted trying to figure
out how to use Master Documents. The most important part of a
program is ease of use. The reason for the difficulty was the
parts work differently, and everyone became frustrated when I
started questioning what appeared to be contradictions in the
users guide, and in the advice I was being given.

I asked several expert programmers if they'd used Open Office,
and all said they tried, and gave up because they encountered
too many problems. I am a strong advocate of open source code,
and believe tax credit funding is necessary for it to survive.

Presently the public doesn't benefit as much from open source
as do large corporations. They can hire someone to figure out
how to use Open Office, save money and pay developers nothing.
If one's time is worth much it's far cheaper to buy something,
than figure out how to use it.

Even after I got it working, when I tried to add a blank page
it screwed everything up, no matter what I tried. It would of
been a waste of time asking readers of the list. It was clear
no one understood what was going on under the hood, they knew
how to use it, but didn't know how it worked.

jrh

Advice from two users I should have taken:

Other than care in selecting to use the same template for all components
of a master document I can make no suggestion.  I have never needed to
use the master documents structure for any of the documents I have
edited/written, irrespective of their size (sometimes several thousand
pages) and have only dabbled inconclusively with master documents.

Rory

+1
Several times in the past, I have looked at using a master document for
a large document of mine.  However, in each case there was some
difficulty I found with using a master document, that made me think it
was just too much trouble.  In all of those cases, using a "flat"
document was the best choice for me.
Girvin Herr

Re: Invitation to collaborate in usability survey

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.