Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com> on 2006/11/30 01:02:24 UTC

Thanks, Kasper, for forwarding that link.  Very interesting.  I think
it's a good sign that Oracle is spending the time and effort to produce
this white paper -- it means they're getting asked about Derby in their
various conversations with customers.  That's a good thing.

Anyway, I responded to this white paper in my blog:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/davidvc/archive/2006/11/oracle_benchmar_1.html

David

Re: In response to Oracle white paper

Posted by Michael Segel <ms...@mycingular.blackberry.net>.
What did you expect from Oracle?

That's right... You worked for Sun so you missed out on their routine FUD and spin campaigns.  :-P

Liesure suit Larry, can't be trusted on almost evrything he says.

Talk to most of the heritage informix types and they could tell you some interesting fud stories.

But I digress. I found the cached writes a bit interesting. Totally worthless for most applications because you can't trust that it has been stored.

Also note that if you were going to design an app that would need that, your app would do the caching, not the embedded db. So that benchmark was totally bogus.

But hey! What do I know? Its not like I design dbms based apps or things...
Sent via BlackBerry.

-Mike Segel
Principal
MSCC