Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Joe Schmetzer <jo...@exubero.com> on 2009/09/14 22:27:25 UTC

[ANN] Ant Script Library 1.1.0 Released

Version 1.1.0 of the Ant Script Library has just been released.

The Ant Script Library (ASL) is a collection of re-usable Ant scripts
that can be imported into your own projects. The ASL provides a number
of pre-defined targets that simplify setting up build scripts for a
new or existing project, bringing re-use and consistency to your own
Ant scripts. Refer to the project page at http://www.exubero.com/asl/
for details.

There are quite a number of small enhancements throughout the library,
and the documentation has been enhanced. Here’s a summary of the major
changes between version 1.0.2 and 1.1.0:

    * Added new release module.
    * Added application package module.
    * Updated documentation for reports module
    * New Java static analysis reports:
          o Checkstyle report
          o FindBugs report
          o Copy/paste detection report
    * Added new SCM modules:
          o Subversion module
          o Perforce module
    * New introductory tutorial
    * Enhancements to the Ivy tasks
    * Link generated JavaDoc to JRE JavaDoc

If you want to try it out, the ASL can be downloaded from
http://www.exubero.com/asl/download.html

Regards,
Joe

Re: [ANN] Ant Script Library 1.1.0 Released

Posted by Joe Schmetzer <jo...@exubero.com>.
2009/9/16 Michael Ludwig <ml...@as-guides.com>:
> Joe Schmetzer schrieb:
>>
>> Version 1.1.0 of the Ant Script Library has just been released.
>>
>> The Ant Script Library (ASL) is a collection of re-usable Ant scripts
>> that can be imported into your own projects. The ASL provides a number
>> of pre-defined targets that simplify setting up build scripts for a
>> new or existing project, bringing re-use and consistency to your own
>> Ant scripts. Refer to the project page at http://www.exubero.com/asl/
>> for details.
>
> Very nice! I've started playing with it; three questions:
>
> (1) Would it make sense to add a target named "print-defaults" that
> prints out the directory layout ASL expects by default?

That would certainly be possible. We'd have to be careful, though
There are a huge number of properties that specifiy various
directories. Most of them are documented at
http://www.exubero.com/asl/reference.html . I think it would be
sensible to pick a subset of directories which are most likely to be
of interest.

> (2) Likewise, would it make sense to have a target named "setup" or
> "create-skeleton" that creates the directory structure as per the ASL
> defaults as amended by <property> overrides made by the user?

Once again, that would certainly be possible, and probably not hard to
do. In most cases where I've used the library, I'm adding it to a
pre-existing project. However, I like the possibility of letting
people start with this script, and then work from there.

> (3) There is probably a "lib" dir in most projects at some point, but
> not necessarily when starting out. Now when I run "compile", the build
> fails simply because there is no lib directory, which, however, isn't
> needed to compile the sources in the source directory. Would it make
> sense to remove this dependency on the lib directory for tasks that do
> not need it?

Good point. I'll make that change.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by Michael Ludwig <ml...@as-guides.com>.