Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Edmon Begoli <eb...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/28 22:29:55 UTC

CryptDB - FYI - it might be inspirational for Accumulo encryption architecture

You all might be aware of this, so please excuse the redundant information:

CryptDB
http://css.csail.mit.edu/cryptdb/

CryptDB is a system that provides practical
and provable confidentiality in the face of these attacks for
applications backed by SQL databases. It works by executing SQL
queries
over encrypted data using a collection of efficient SQL-aware
encryption schemes. CryptDB can also chain encryption keys to user
passwords, so that a data item can be decrypted only by using the
password of one of the users with access to that data. As a result,
a database administrator never gets access to decrypted data, and even
if all servers are compromised, an adversary cannot decrypt
the data of any user who is not logged in

CryptDB is MySQL based system, but I think that some of its mechanisms
could be relevant for key-value stores.
(In my work/research, I was looking for HIPAA compliant data store)

Regards,
Edmon

Re: CryptDB - FYI - it might be inspirational for Accumulo encryption architecture

Posted by Marc Parisi <ma...@accumulo.net>.
Most certainly to the scan time iterator do the decryption. In fact, I've
done it, but only moved away from it to avoid the thrift RPC calls to be
sent in the clear.

Right now the iterator() method returns no exceptions, and instead returns
null. This behavior should be changed to show decryption failure; however,
I'm of the belief that we should still return data upon a failure. If one
cell fails, there's no reason to fail the other key/value entries.

Posted by Jim Klucar <kl...@gmail.com>.
Marc

Posted by Marc Parisi <ma...@accumulo.net>.

Posted by Edmon Begoli <eb...@gmail.com>.