Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/02 16:52:21 UTC

AIOJ Plan (Was: Re: First release of File Asynchronous File I/O library)

Hi folks,

I won't reply to the other response messsages but this message because I
believe everyone understand what Mike's intention was; to show a piece of
great software to the community rather than breaking the rule.

On 2/1/07, Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Trustin,
>
> Thanks for holding me to the Apache process.  So, don't think of it as
> a release then.  Perhaps the term 'release' to too formal for what
> this is.  Can we think of it as a conveniently downloadable build for
> testing purposes?

Sure.  You could say 'please review this snapshot build.'  I know what your
intention was, so it's no problem.  Everybody makes a mistake. :)

This code is certainly not ready for production use yet.  My goal was
> to get a .jar out there so that people can conveniently download the
> framework and start playing with it and provide some feedback.

Yep.  Let's focus on reviewing your code.  After the review is done, we
could move your code to /trunk/aioj or /trunk/<another neat name>.  You are
the initial author of the project, so you could name it as you want as long
as it is not offensive.  :)

As far as a formal release of AIOJ, I would love to see it in MINA
> 2.0-M1.  We'll need to figure out the logistics of this because when
> there's JNI code involved the build/release process gets much more
> complicated because we have to build and release for each platform.
> We may want to make POSIX AIO and Linux libaio support (the parts that
> require JNI) separate releases.

Yep.  Let's include it in 2.0-M1.  I also would like to provide MINA
transport for it, rather than just providing AIOJ as a sole subproject.

I agree with you for the JNI issues.  We could probably provide two
providers (the current one and the JNI one) and use Ant or make for the JNI
one.  WDYT?

Until MINA 2.0-M1 is ready for release, is it appropriate to make
> builds available as progress is made without conducting a formal
> release?  I would like to get feedback earlier rather than later.  And
> make a .jar available for download makes it easier for people to play
> with the framework.  Refactoring JNI code is anything but pleasant so
> the sooner the API stabilizes the better.  Please let me know the
> proper process for infant projects like this as I've never done
> anything like this at Apache before and the more I understand about
> the Apache process, the better off I'll be.

Uploading the nightly build or snapshot to your home directory at
people.apache.org sounds fine for me.  I saw people at jakarta project do
the same for reviewing purpose.  It's OK as long as you state that it's not
an official release and retain '-SNAPSHOT' suffix to the distribution.
Sombody please correct me if I am saying something wrong.

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

Re: AIOJ Plan (Was: Re: First release of File Asynchronous File I/O library)

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
2007-02-03 (토), 13:29 -0500, Alex Karasulu 쓰시길:
> >> Uploading the nightly build or snapshot to your home directory at
> >> people.apache.org sounds fine for me.  I saw people at jakarta project do
> >> the same for reviewing purpose.  It's OK as long as you state that
> >> it's not
> >> an official release and retain '-SNAPSHOT' suffix to the distribution.
> >> Sombody please correct me if I am saying something wrong.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > alternatively, there are more official spaces available (on
> > people.apache.org) for snapshots and nightly builds. all that's needed
> > would be a simple vote to approve the snapshot.
>
> Please excuse my confusion but do you mean a milestone release or a
> snapshot because I encountered this on the apache site here:
>
>     http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>
> "Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
> non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
> candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
> supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev
> list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed
> on the package. If you find that the general public are downloading such
> test packages, then remove them."
>
> Just wondering if we should stick to getting a true release for AIOJ
> rather than taking these intermediate approaches.  WDYT?

It is stating that we can encourage people on dev list to download
non-releases.  We could vote on releasing milestones not adding a link
in our web site anyway.  Releasing AIOJ bundled with MINA 2.0.0-M1 could
be reasonable for us.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: AIOJ Plan (Was: Re: First release of File Asynchronous File I/O library)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 2/2/07, Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I won't reply to the other response messsages but this message because I
>> believe everyone understand what Mike's intention was; to show a piece of
>> great software to the community rather than breaking the rule.
>
> +1
>
>> On 2/1/07, Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Trustin,
>> >
>> > Thanks for holding me to the Apache process.  So, don't think of it as
>> > a release then.  Perhaps the term 'release' to too formal for what
>> > this is.  Can we think of it as a conveniently downloadable build for
>> > testing purposes?
>>

>> Sure.  You could say 'please review this snapshot build.'  I know what
>> your
>> intention was, so it's no problem.  Everybody makes a mistake. :)
>
> +1
>
> <snip>
>
>> Until MINA 2.0-M1 is ready for release, is it appropriate to make
>> > builds available as progress is made without conducting a formal
>> > release?  I would like to get feedback earlier rather than later.  And
>> > make a .jar available for download makes it easier for people to play
>> > with the framework.  Refactoring JNI code is anything but pleasant so
>> > the sooner the API stabilizes the better.  Please let me know the
>> > proper process for infant projects like this as I've never done
>> > anything like this at Apache before and the more I understand about
>> > the Apache process, the better off I'll be.
>>

>> Uploading the nightly build or snapshot to your home directory at
>> people.apache.org sounds fine for me.  I saw people at jakarta project do
>> the same for reviewing purpose.  It's OK as long as you state that
>> it's not
>> an official release and retain '-SNAPSHOT' suffix to the distribution.
>> Sombody please correct me if I am saying something wrong.
>
> +1
>
> alternatively, there are more official spaces available (on
> people.apache.org) for snapshots and nightly builds. all that's needed
> would be a simple vote to approve the snapshot.

Please excuse my confusion but do you mean a milestone release or a
snapshot because I encountered this on the apache site here:

    http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

"Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev
list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed
on the package. If you find that the general public are downloading such
test packages, then remove them."

Just wondering if we should stick to getting a true release for AIOJ
rather than taking these intermediate approaches.  WDYT?

Alex

Re: AIOJ Plan (Was: Re: First release of File Asynchronous File I/O library)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/2/07, Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I won't reply to the other response messsages but this message because I
> believe everyone understand what Mike's intention was; to show a piece of
> great software to the community rather than breaking the rule.

+1

> On 2/1/07, Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Trustin,
> >
> > Thanks for holding me to the Apache process.  So, don't think of it as
> > a release then.  Perhaps the term 'release' to too formal for what
> > this is.  Can we think of it as a conveniently downloadable build for
> > testing purposes?
>

> Sure.  You could say 'please review this snapshot build.'  I know what your
> intention was, so it's no problem.  Everybody makes a mistake. :)

+1

<snip>

> Until MINA 2.0-M1 is ready for release, is it appropriate to make
> > builds available as progress is made without conducting a formal
> > release?  I would like to get feedback earlier rather than later.  And
> > make a .jar available for download makes it easier for people to play
> > with the framework.  Refactoring JNI code is anything but pleasant so
> > the sooner the API stabilizes the better.  Please let me know the
> > proper process for infant projects like this as I've never done
> > anything like this at Apache before and the more I understand about
> > the Apache process, the better off I'll be.
>

> Uploading the nightly build or snapshot to your home directory at
> people.apache.org sounds fine for me.  I saw people at jakarta project do
> the same for reviewing purpose.  It's OK as long as you state that it's not
> an official release and retain '-SNAPSHOT' suffix to the distribution.
> Sombody please correct me if I am saying something wrong.

+1

alternatively, there are more official spaces available (on
people.apache.org) for snapshots and nightly builds. all that's needed
would be a simple vote to approve the snapshot.

- robert