Posted to user@commons.apache.org by sol myr <so...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/30 23:45:48 UTC

HttpClient : using SSL connection pool (or session pool)

Hi,

I intend to use the commons "HttpClient" for SSL communication .
For performace, I'd like to have a socket pool (in more detail : the server to
which I'm connecting is customized, its code is under my control.  Now when
my client starts up it should open a pool of, say,  100 sockets, do SSL
verification & key negotiation, and from now on all those connections
will be "kept alive", and used as necessary ).

Does HttpClient support this, and if so - could anyone please point me
to a code example on the web, or at least mention the name of the
classes involved ?

Thanks very much

---------------------------------

Re: HttpClient : using SSL connection pool (or session pool)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 14:45 -0700, sol myr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I intend to use the commons "HttpClient" for SSL communication .
> For performace, I'd like to have a socket pool (in more detail : the server to
> which I'm connecting is customized, its code is under my control.  Now when
> my client starts up it should open a pool of, say,  100 sockets, do SSL
> verification & key negotiation, and from now on all those connections
> will be "kept alive", and used as necessary ).
>
> Does HttpClient support this, and if so - could anyone please point me
> to a code example on the web, or at least mention the name of the
> classes involved ?

Yes, it does. HttpClient per default reuses connections that can be kept
alive. For more details refer to:

HttpClient multi-threading guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/threading.html

HttpClient optimization guide: