Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net> on 2002/02/20 13:47:42 UTC

Various memory leak fixes

Hi All,

	Hope all is well.

	Yesterday Christian and I did some intensive hunting for memory
	leaks inside of our application and Cocoon 2.0.1. We found
	various leaks including:

	1. TraxTransformer's xsltProcessor not releasing it's source resolver.
	2. AbstractTextSerializer not recycling it's namespace pipe.
	3. Logging context retaining the last object model used, per thread.

	In our application these leaks summed to approx. 50-60k per
	request, which under load testing scaled quite quickly.

	Also, FYI, there's currently a known memory leak in Xalan 2.2.0 which
	is also being addressed, Xalan bug 6075.

	I've got a patch ready and will submit it via Bugzilla in the
	next few minutes.

	Cheers,

	Marcus
     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

RE: Various memory leak fixes

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Marcus Crafter [mailto:crafterm@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net]
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 02:05:07PM +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > thanks for your patch - it's applied, well not exactly: The patches
> > for the TraxTransformer and the CocoonServlet were already in the
> > current CVS, but in a slightly different form.
> >
> > Could you please check if that is ok - I think it is, it seems that
> > they were already contained in a previous patch you submitted.
>
> 	Yep, everything looks ok. You are right, current CVS already
includes 2
> 	of the patches (they weren't from me though). I was too focused
> 	on the 2.0.1 codebase! :)

My fault - forgot to tell you to check out CVS ;)

> > Did you find all memory leaks of Cocoon?
>
> 	We are still testing, but they were the major ones in 2.0.1.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Marcus
>
> 	PS. BTW, what is the current process with bugfixes, etc. Are we
> 	maintaining a stable cocoon release (ie. 2.0.1 plus fixes)
alongside
> 	HEAD ? or is 2.0.1 now finished until the next major release ?

I proposed to make a 2.0.2 some time ago... Response was positive, but
no date was set. Cocoon 2.0.2 will be made (AFAIU) out of HEAD without
scratchpad, thus giving stable Cocoon + patches. It will be good however
to resolve/document JDK1.4 and Tomcat 4.0.2 issues before this - user
list is flooded with mails about these two issues.

Vadim

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Carsten,

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi Marcus,

thanks for your patch - it's applied, well not exactly: The patches
for the TraxTransformer and the CocoonServlet were already in the
current CVS, but in a slightly different form.
Could you please check if that is ok - I think it is, it seems that
they were already contained in a previous patch you submitted.

Did you find all memory leaks of Cocoon?

Cheers,
Carsten