Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/26 22:27:45 UTC

Site improvements

Hi everyone.

I had some ideas for improving our web site, namely:

1. Stop using APT

APT format is _really_ limiting. I finally gave up when I couldn't put
a pipe character within a table (they say escaping it like "\|" works,
but it doesn't). Dreadful stuff.

After trying XDOC, it seems to be better. It also allows us to use
syntax coloring (see next point).

2. Add syntax coloring for examples

This is not available in Maven default skin, and I'm not a big fan of
the Fluido skin [1] which has it. However, after a little hacking, I
managed to get google-code-prettify [2] to work in the default skin
when using XDOC. It's licenced under ASF v2, so no problem there. PHP
and XML look nice.

3. Improve the looks

I never liked the high constrast in maven templates very much
(especially headings and table headers). I wanted to keep the overall
feel of the site, but go for something a bit more relaxed. Not being a
designer, decided to find some "inspiration" in the Bootstrap project
[3]. Basically I took the whole bootstrap css. :-) It's also licensed
under ASF v2 so no problem.

This is what I came up with:
http://i.imgur.com/7zAth.png

Do not mind the contents too much, not finished yet. Focus on the design.

Comments are appreciated.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/fluido-skin/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/google-code-prettify/
[3] http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

Regards,
Ivan

Re: Site improvements

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> Do you plan to include the bootstrap-css system itself?
>
> Not sure what you mean by "bootstrap-css system". I meant to include
> the whole bootstrap.css file as-is, and then override bits I don't
> like in site.css. This makes it clear where the file came from, the
> file remains unchanged, and it retains the original licence header
> which makes ASF legal people happy. The same goes for prettify css and
> js files.

Yes I meant that. Thats cool stuff

>> I just have one requirement: every content must be easily readable for
>> many people, even with aging eyes (speaking of contrasts) :-)
>
> I think the new site will be at least as readable as the old one.
> Black (well, dark gray to be exact) on white usually works OK
> contrast-wise. :)
>
> Anyway, I'll make a mockup at some point in time, so we can vote on it.

cool thanks Ivan!
Cheers
Christian

--