Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Steven Leija <St...@US.Valtech.com> on 2001/06/14 21:14:54 UTC

Other Frameworks?

Hey All,

I was asked to evaluate java frameworks that are available such as Struts,
Turbine, Barracuda, Smartmode, Velocity, Expresso, Niggle, Tapestry, and
Swinglets.  Does anyone have any sort of opinion over which frameworks are
the best?  Which frameworks are not the best or ideal to use?  Do any of the
frameworks compliment others?  Does Struts work well with other frameworks
such as Cocoon?

I'm in favor of Struts, but I must evaluate other frameworks to come up with
a the pro's and con's with each framework and why Struts is more dominate
over it's competitor frameworks.

Thanks in advance.

Have a good one,

Steven

Re: Other Frameworks?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Have you seen this:

<  http://barracuda.enhydra.org/cvs_source/Barracuda/docs/landscape.html

RE: Other Frameworks?

Posted by Flying Cloud <fl...@prodigy.net>.
Steven,

Since you asked about what frameworks compliment others....

Expresso Framework for example is being integrated with Struts so as to
complement Struts. We're a lot closer with this integration with the release
last week of Expresso 3.1. There is a development roadmap onsite under
Documentation, and as I understand it the full integration is to be out
sometime around the end of July. We have forums on both our User and
Developers Forums discussing this integration. You can find the forums at:
http://www.jcorporate.com/components/internal/projframe.jsp?category=65 and
selecting the Forums link in the left column (you need to be registered for
access).

I tried to catch up with Craig McClanahan during the show to talk to him
about this integration and the night of the Struts BOF I had a prior meeting
to receive an award - so dang missed out on the BOF.  BTW the Jcorporate
Open Source Team for Expresso Framework, received the prestigious 2001 Java
Community Award for Outstanding Group Technical Contribution to the Java
Community, at the Third Annual Java Technology Achievement Awards event,
held during JavaOne in San Francisco. This event was sponsored by Java Pro
magazine and Sun Microsystems. This award was one of 5 Java Community Awards
for 2001.
http://www.java-pro.com/upload/free/Features/Javapro/2001/07jul01/awards/aw0
107-2.asp

Sandra Cann