Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dorian Guzmán <do...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/12 14:42:51 UTC

Managing the work copy

Hi,

Is it possible to remove a directory from the working copy, but not from the
repository?
For example, suppose the repository and my working copy have the A and B
directories, but I don't want to get more updates from directory B in my
working copy.
I'm trying to avoid the creation a new working copy, if possible.

Best regards,

Dorian Guzmán

Re: Managing the work copy

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 12, 2006, at 09:42, Dorian Guzmán wrote:

> Is it possible to remove a directory from the working copy, but not
> from the repository?
> For example, suppose the repository and my working copy have the A
> and B directories, but I don't want to get more updates from
> directory B in my working copy.
> I'm trying to avoid the creation a new working copy, if possible.

You can switch the B directory in your working copy to an empty
directory in the repository. This technique is described here:

Um... I can't find where it's described. But you just create an empty
directory in your repository (if $REPO is the URL to your repository,
then "svn mkdir $REPO/empty") and then in your working copy you can
"svn switch $REPO/empty B" to make B point to that empty directory.
Everything in the B directory of the working copy is erased and "svn
update" won't repopulate it, and B stays in the repository so you can
always "svn switch" back to it later if you want.

Re: Managing the work copy

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 10/16/06, Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com> wrote:
> Quoth Dorian Guzmán <ma...@gmail.com>:
> > Is it possible to remove a directory from the working copy, but not
> > from the repository?
> > For example, suppose the repository and my working copy have the A
> > and B directories, but I don't want to get more updates from
> > directory B in my working copy. I'm trying to avoid the creation a
> > new working copy, if possible.
>
> Kind of.  Create an empty folder in your repository somewhere (typically
> outside the trunk, and make sure it's kept empty).  Then switch the
> folders in your working copy that you don't care about over to that
> folder.  The folder will still exist, but it'll no longer contain any
> files, and it'll stay that way even across updates.

A more 'official' way to do this (the above being the official
workaround) is being worked on under the code name
'incomplete-directories' aka sparse working copies.

We hope it's one of the great new features of 1.5, but .. Well, it's
done when it's done.

bye,

Erik.

RE: Managing the work copy