Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com> on 2023/06/01 12:43:26 UTC

Maven 3.9.x plugins verifications

We have some of discussion about this feature in 3.9.2

I saw some negative opinions ... Maybe I am missing something
I think that people's nature is that when they don't like something they
will speak about it ... but when people like something don't speak about it.

So I would like to say that I like it :-)

Of course users can not fix problems in used plugins, but I see that when
we show those problems users start putting pressure on authors of plugins
to fix it.

Now in 3.9.3 we will group internal - problems which users can fix and
external problems in plugins.

By default we will show only internal violations in inline mode so external
violations will never be visible.

now we have:
- NONE - no reports
- INLINE - internal violation in place where exist (default)
- SUMMARY - reports summary but only about internal ....
- VERBOSE - boths internal and external in verbose mode

I would like to have an option to see internal as inline and external as
briev at the and of build,
Now I don't have possibility to display reports for external issues in
summary/brief mode

--
Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Maven 3.9.x plugins verifications

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Le jeu. 15 juin 2023 à 21:15, Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>
a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Next my propositions for reporting Plugin Validation issues.
> Improve reporting [1] and documentation [2]
>
> I see many benefits when we show "external" issues to users.
> Many times plugin authors don't care or don't know how to make theirs
> plugins better, ready for next Maven versions and so on

This all belong to plugin sdk so feel like we still modify the wrong part.

> When we also inform users about such issues I see that many plugins have
> fixed or will be fixed soon [3] without it I think that never will happen

Looks mainly jacoco and quite a few actually plus some "hide me that
unwilled logs" so not sure data changes or we dont interpret it the same
way but I rather see the opposite with this filter.

> So we can think again if we should hide it by default, if someone doesn't
> like it can change on your system.

Not sure I read it as you intended but +1 to hide by default and using
logging config of v4 (v3 uses a file or system props to do the same) to
enable it (before debug mode) would be neat instead of duplicated options.
Loggers will be way better cause you can output it somewhere else whereas
toggle will still require grep to pick warnings you want to process when
they are numerous.

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi

sob., 10 cze 2023 o 20:23 Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think that introducing property is better than changing logging levels.

Everything is reported by one class so we don't have the possibility of
what information and how it should be reported.

So I would like to think again what options we have and what for?

In current 3.9.x we have:

 - NONE, // mute validation completely (validation issue collection still
happens, it is just not reported!)
 - INLINE, // inline, each "internal" problem one line next to mojo
invocation
 - SUMMARY, // at end, list of plugin GAVs along with "internal" issues
 - BRIEF, // synonym to SUMMARY
 - VERBOSE // at end, list of plugin GAVs along with detailed report of ANY
validation issues

First BRIEF and SUMMARY are duplicated one should be enough.

I would like to see options to see "internal" as inline and "external" as
brief - list of plugin

Currently we don't have a possibility to report external issues in brief
mode - only in verbose.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.