Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jean-Christophe Helary <je...@traduction-libre.org> on 2022/02/05 04:03:54 UTC

OOo spelling dictionaries site closed

Hello Devs,

First, thank you for your hard work on OOo. I used to help with localization when OOo was still managed by Sun.

I am (still) currently helping with OmegaT, the free ‘computer-aided-translation’ tool and we use OOo’s spelling dictionaries for the spell-checking functionality.

The site that’s hard linked in the code is:
http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/contrib/dictionaries/

But it seems to be definitely down, even though I seem to remember that it was working a few weeks ago.

OmegaT needs the dictionary files and won’t be able to work with the OOo extensions.

I understand that such direct access could cause undue load on your servers, and that’s maybe the reason why you took it off-line, but if that’s not the case we would love to be able to keep using your repository, if you still have one. In which case, would you mind letting us know what would be the equivalent URL?

Thank you in advance.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

Re: OOo spelling dictionaries site closed

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11.02.22 um 02:34 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:
>> On Feb 11, 2022, at 9:36, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:

>>> OK, I'm trying a thought. I don't know which content and how it was on
>>> the webpage that is now gone. So, maybe it's rubish.
>>>
>>> - Download all extensions
>>> - Extract the pure dictionary files
>>> - Put them on a new webpage
>>> - Exchange the old URL to this new one in OmegaT
>>>
>>> Can this work?
>>>
>>> BTW:
>>> When I look at the SSL certificate for
>>> "https://download.services.openoffice.org/" (yes, with HTTPS) I've the
>>> feeling that the page was not under our control.
>>
>> You are right! This site was probably never under our control!
>>
>> The invalid certificate refers to some domains (e.g.
>> https://www.ammec.de). Does anyone know "Marco Skambraks"?
>>
>> @Jean-Christophe:
>> It looks like OmegaT points to a download page that was not from the
>> OpenOffice project.
>> In what format does OmegaT expect the dictionaries? I installed the
>> Windows version and it does not seem to accept OXT, which is the only
>> format we offer.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>
> Thank you both so much for looking into this.
>
> I'm putting Aaron Madlon-Kay, who is the OmegaT project coordinator in Cc.
>
> The process was transparent to the user so it's hard to see what was hosted/expected from the site, but from reading the OmegaT code it looks like the site hosted a number of zipped .aff + .dic pairs for each language.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/code/ci/master/tree/src/org/omegat/core/spellchecker/DictionaryManager.java
>
> OmegaT displayed the language code, the user selected a language and OmegaT downloaded the zip, unzipped it in a dedicated folder and that was it.
>
> Marco Skambraks seems to have been working on accessibility in Linux.
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/accessibility/charter_v1.0
> https://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html
> https://www.suse.com/c/the-brains-behind-the-books-part-ix-meike-chabowski/
>
> He seems to be heading this company
> http://www.ammec.de/
>
> So I guess the belief that we were using an OOo repository was wrong and I'm sorry I bothered you.
>
> LibreOffice seems to have a github repository with the unzipped files at
> https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries
>
> Either way, we'll have to implement a new solution.
>
> Thank you again for all the work you do on OOo.

don't worry, it's nice to see that we could help to see the problem
behind the problem. :-)

Good luck that you don't have to change much for the solution.

Marcus

Posted by Jean-Christophe Helary <je...@traduction-libre.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,