Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2011/09/30 10:24:33 UTC

Wookie heartbeat

One of the problems Wookie has is that activity is largely invisible.
Their is a fair amount going on, but the world cannot see it unless
they are subscribed to the commit list or monitor the JIRA ticket
traffic (which is unusual). This is not helping us build community.

Scott and I are fully aware of a significant number of projects that
build on top of Wookie but never raise their heads here. We need to
change that. We need to make this list *the* place to come to in order
to understand working with W3C Widgets (and thus Wookie). To do this
we need to show how lively and exciting this project is.

I propose that we create a news section on the project home page. We
should update this section at least once every two weeks. I'm not
thinking of big articles, just short notices about what is happening
in Wookie and the world of widgets.

The kinds of entries I'm thinking of are:

"Wookie 0.9 released this week"

"Wookie now passes 100% of the W3C Widget tests"

"Discussion underway about whether to provide an Admin UI or whether
to simply adopt the Apache Rave UI"

"Testing for a 0.9.1 release has started"

"Work has begun on an experimental Widget templating system in scratchpad"

"Learning assistant widget contributed to Wookie, thanks to the
Intellectual Property Office in the UK"

Each item could link to the mail archives for more information, so
there would be no need to write copious amounts.

We could start up a blog to do this, but that implies having to write
much more than the one line I have in mind. Initially writing these
would be a manual process via the CMS UI, but I see no reason why it
couldn't (eventually) be scripted so we can update with something like

cd ~/projects/wookie
./addnews "Learning assistant widget contributed to Wookie, thanks to
the Intellectual Property Office in the UK"

If I get three +1s to indicate that you would add the occasional news
item to this feed (initially by the CMS interface) then I'll go ahead
and set this up.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Wookie heartbeat

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.
On 30/09/2011 09:24, Ross Gardler wrote:
> One of the problems Wookie has is that activity is largely invisible.
> Their is a fair amount going on, but the world cannot see it unless
> they are subscribed to the commit list or monitor the JIRA ticket
> traffic (which is unusual). This is not helping us build community.
>
> Scott and I are fully aware of a significant number of projects that
> build on top of Wookie but never raise their heads here. We need to
> change that. We need to make this list *the* place to come to in order
> to understand working with W3C Widgets (and thus Wookie). To do this
> we need to show how lively and exciting this project is.
>
> I propose that we create a news section on the project home page. We
> should update this section at least once every two weeks. I'm not
> thinking of big articles, just short notices about what is happening
> in Wookie and the world of widgets.
>
> The kinds of entries I'm thinking of are:
>

> "Wookie 0.9 released this week"
>
> "Wookie now passes 100% of the W3C Widget tests"
>
> "Discussion underway about whether to provide an Admin UI or whether
> to simply adopt the Apache Rave UI"
>
> "Testing for a 0.9.1 release has started"
>
> "Work has begun on an experimental Widget templating system in scratchpad"
>
> "Learning assistant widget contributed to Wookie, thanks to the
> Intellectual Property Office in the UK"
>
> Each item could link to the mail archives for more information, so
> there would be no need to write copious amounts.
>
> We could start up a blog to do this, but that implies having to write
> much more than the one line I have in mind. Initially writing these
> would be a manual process via the CMS UI, but I see no reason why it
> couldn't (eventually) be scripted so we can update with something like
>
> cd ~/projects/wookie
> ./addnews "Learning assistant widget contributed to Wookie, thanks to
> the Intellectual Property Office in the UK"
>
> If I get three +1s to indicate that you would add the occasional news
> item to this feed (initially by the CMS interface) then I'll go ahead
> and set this up.
>
> Ross

+1 - sounds a good idea

Re: Wookie heartbeat

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 2 December 2011 12:25, Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've made a start on this, adding a news page with a couple of items in it. Next I'll add it to the site nav.

Great stuff Scott - thanks for beating me to it ;-)

Ross

Re: Wookie heartbeat

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wookie heartbeat